Pitch count for a day?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is just silly. In HS brother threw 100s of pitches a day because of DHs. After HS was over he just walked away, he had enough.

Jun 8, 2016
Was curious so I just looked at GC for DD’s team. Top two pitchers threw about 1600 and 1500 pitches over the span of 7 tournaments this Spring/Summer. Most (but not all) of those were over a 2 day span so that probably works out to maybe 100 to 120 pitches per day (don’t ask how many of those were strikes....sore subject 😂)

Feb 15, 2017
At those ages its imperative that you communicate with DD on things like arm soreness between games/days and step in and talk to coach if necessary. Our rule was always the minute it hurts - stop. At that age it isn’t worth it. DD would periodically hit this point at 10u. I knew we had it made when she got to the point she would say “Dad I’m sore” and I would ask “where”? And she would say “my legs”. That’s when you know the mechanics are improving!

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Count how many pitches are done in a workout.
80-100 very common.
Thats in 30 min consecutively.
Several days weekly.

Records on games show pitchers can and do throw more in games.
That said...

Individual athletism and age is a consideration.

The weather and health is another consideration.

Throwing in a game how many how much
imo is the individuals decision.
Younger ages guided by the parents not the coach.

Have a plan including recuperation.
Stick to it!
You might want to pay attention to what towny9 posted from the university of Florida. I went back and looked at it, and it doesn’t say anything about:

it showed what was recommended for girls in a certain age group. Is it people like you who decide that all these people with degrees don’t know what they are talking about, and end up hurting young ladies before they have a chance to mature.

Listen to the professionals, not the posters on here. Some are really great, some have no clue.

Oct 26, 2019
You might want to pay attention to what towny9 posted from the university of Florida. I went back and looked at it, and it doesn’t say anything about:

it showed what was recommended for girls in a certain age group. Is it people like you who decide that all these people with degrees don’t know what they are talking about, and end up hurting young ladies before they have a chance to mature.

Listen to the professionals, not the posters on here. Some are really great, some have no clue.
I had forgotten I had posted that a while back. I looked up several recommendations and they were all very similar. I have coached high school baseball and now travel softball for 20 years and I sleep very well at nig hot knowing I have never overthrown a player. I find a guideline based in science and research and I stick to it. Has it cost me games in the past - most definitely yes! But like I said...I sleep very well at night knowing I do my part in protecting the health of the players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802