PGF vs Alliance (provocative but sincere questions)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
1. Is alliance dead or alive after this year?

2. What percent of PGF berths are earned (qualifiers or prior year performance) vs granted?

3. Are teams that supported the formation of alliance and avoided PGF remaining steadfast in that approach?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
With regards to your first question I've heard some stuff about some cracks forming in the Alliance (specifically one of the leagues) but could just be hearsay. From your question it seems as if you know something you aren't telling us since by all outward indications it doesn't seem to be going away ;)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
1.We were suppose to play in a 2nd stage Alliance Something or Other that we QUALIFED for but there was only 8 teams and it was $1900 entry fee. Not doing so well. They tried to invite teams (that never qualified) but nobody wanted to put up the $$$ so it was canceled.
2. About half???
3.Not completely. Have seen Alliance Org. teams in PGF events.

Jun 8, 2016
1.We were suppose to play in a 2nd stage Alliance Something or Other that we QUALIFED for but there was only 8 teams and it was $1900 entry fee. Not doing so well. They tried to invite teams (that never qualified) but nobody wanted to put up the $$$ so it was canceled.
That was a Super Cup thing I think. That takes place in CO as a parallel event during Sparkler so if a team doesn’t plan on playing Sparkler it doesn’t make sense to play the 2nd Stage to try and qualify for the CO Super Cup event. The teams that qualified for the 2nd stage of the Super Cup qualified (in the 1st stage) for the Alliance Championships which may have been the main reason they played the 1st stage of the Super Cup. DD’s team qualified for the 2nd stage as well (along with the Alliance championship) and decided to not play the 2nd stage even though they are playing Sparkler. The 2nd stage event they could have played in was the 2nd week of Dec in TX.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019
With regards to your first question I've heard some stuff about some cracks forming in the Alliance (specifically one of the leagues) but could just be hearsay. From your question it seems as if you know something you aren't telling us since by all outward indications it doesn't seem to be going away ;)
I don't know anything. I see many very good teams that have qualified for alliance nationals but locally that doesn't include many of the best teams who tend to play pgf. May differ by region.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't know anything. I see many very good teams that have qualified for alliance nationals but locally that doesn't include many of the best teams who tend to play pgf. May differ by region.
There are some orgs who have direct stake in Alliance (eg the org heads are in positions of power in Alliance) who will continue to play Alliance until it completely dies. That will happen if the other teams who play Alliance, but don’t have any stake in it, stop playing Alliance and/or the Alliance “powers that be” start to have friction..

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021
There are local teams on both sides of this equation. More or less what I see is the PGF orgs participate in local Alliance events to an extent but don't go to the national events. If there is a choice they stick with their org. And the same the other way around for the Alliance teams.

The local events can bring some good competition without travel (for us in the winter, anyway). Last week an Alliance qualifier brought in some great teams from out of town. This week is the same for PGF's AZ Last Blast. Similar local orgs at both.

Jun 8, 2016
There are local teams on both sides of this equation. More or less what I see is the PGF orgs participate in local Alliance events to an extent but don't go to the national events. If there is a choice they stick with their org. And the same the other way around for the Alliance teams.
I agree there are teams/orgs which play both..which to me makes sense if you are trying to optimize schedule strength, travel, etc.

That said you won't be seeing the Bandits or Hotshots playing Alliance events. Likewise (and I might be wrong in a few circumstances but in general..) you won't be seeing any of the orgs represented in the "Advisory Board" shown in the below link playing PGF events....

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I agree there are teams/orgs which play both..which to me makes sense if you are trying to optimize schedule strength, travel, etc.

That said you won't be seeing the Bandits or Hotshots playing Alliance events. Likewise (and I might be wrong in a few circumstances but in general..) you won't be seeing any of the orgs represented in the "Advisory Board" shown in the below link playing PGF events....

I see Stith on that page. I assume that means no Batbusters at PGF?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12