PGF Nationals Guest Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2016
Skip. Platinum is just a money grab. Coaches aren’t going to PGF to watch Platinum games so the idea of exposure isn’t reality. The fields are away from the main complexes and are usually sub-par. If you want her to have the experience and give her a taste to motivate her in the future, then it might make sense.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Platinum is held at Fountain Valley Mile Square park and is very nice. Lots of parking.
Has arena style cement seating can put chairs & umbrellas. Even easy-ups. Several multiple stall men/women bathroom facilities.
Good fields!
Can sit in most of the fields out fields beyond fence also.

Premier. At Huntington Bch. Sports complex.
Seating behind home is small at some fields.
At all fields can sit in outfield.
Generally-discusting individual bathroom anyone can go in stalls. That you appreciate having hand sanitizer...and maybe bring lysol spray for bottom of shoes.!.
Suggest bring own tissue ;)
Infields are fine. Dusty.
Outfield lawn is a coin flip.
Outfield fences have polls that poke up higher than fence.
(not the yellow plastic protection thats level the same height the entire length)
*Be careful impailing going for that HR save!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Daughter been asked to play in PGF Nationals as a Guest player, she is 14u playing 16u.
Is it worth it? coming from the East. Flight, hotel, Car rental. food etc...Coaches using the College carrot
and exposure angle. I could save $$$ and stay home. Any advice appreciated.

Unless she is an absolute stud that will be a standout on the 16U team, she's not going to get much notice from college coaches. Additionally, college coaches can't even contact her yet. She will get more "exposure" by emailing coaches of schools she's interested in with skills videos, or attending one of their camps.

Skip. Platinum is just a money grab. Coaches aren’t going to PGF to watch Platinum games so the idea of exposure isn’t reality. The fields are away from the main complexes and are usually sub-par. If you want her to have the experience and give her a taste to motivate her in the future, then it might make sense.

IMO, it depends. If you're looking to get noticed by a top-level D1 coach who happens to be watching your game, I agree that it's not going to happen at a 16U Platinum game. If that's your goal, you had also better be a top player on a team that will get deep into the Premier tournament. That said, there are a TON of other college softball opportunities out there, and we are seeing a lot of hungry college coaches, even at fields away from the main facilities. For a 14U player on a 16U Platinum team, I agree 100% that the only real value will be the experience of the event. That part of So Cal in July can also be a pretty nice place to hang out when other parts of the country are miserable.

Jul 8, 2020
If you have never done PGF or a large scale national type tournament, it can be a fun experience. There will be teams from all over the country. The location is great if you want to do some "vacationing" as well. If you are primarily in it for college exposure, then i agree with what many others have said, this most likely won't be that experience. I have seen coaches at Platinum games before, but it is not like the Premier group. If you want to give your DD that experience of what it is like to better prepare her for other national or big tournaments and it is not a financial burden, then I would consider it. Also assumes the coach will give your DD pitch time.

Aug 23, 2016
Unless she is an absolute stud that will be a standout on the 16U team, she's not going to get much notice from college coaches. Additionally, college coaches can't even contact her yet. She will get more "exposure" by emailing coaches of schools she's interested in with skills videos, or attending one of their camps.

IMO, it depends. If you're looking to get noticed by a top-level D1 coach who happens to be watching your game, I agree that it's not going to happen at a 16U Platinum game. If that's your goal, you had also better be a top player on a team that will get deep into the Premier tournament. That said, there are a TON of other college softball opportunities out there, and we are seeing a lot of hungry college coaches, even at fields away from the main facilities. For a 14U player on a 16U Platinum team, I agree 100% that the only real value will be the experience of the event. That part of So Cal in July can also be a pretty nice place to hang out when other parts of the country are miserable.
Thanks for info. We were out at TCS last week and kid made enough impression to be asked to go to PGF. But sounds like most attention is given to Premier not Platinum. This 16u Team has 5 14u kids on it!

Aug 23, 2016
Thanks everyone for your advice. Decision still not made yet. We are waiting for the PGF schedule to be released.
I heard the Bracket games start on Tuesday. If thats the case then Teams could play two games and be out early in the Week?
Definitely not worth it. Are there no pool games?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
That part of So Cal in July can also be a pretty nice place to hang out when other parts of the country are miserable.

If you get more than a few miles from the ocean, SOCAL can get friggin' HOT. Yeah, it's not Dallas hot, but if you're expecting cool ocean breezes, you're going to be disappointed when scheduled for Anaheim or Yorba Linda.

Orange / LA County traffic is often horrific, especially during the summer months.

Apr 20, 2015
Thanks everyone for your advice. Decision still not made yet. We are waiting for the PGF schedule to be released.
I heard the Bracket games start on Tuesday. If thats the case then Teams could play two games and be out early in the Week?
Definitely not worth it. Are there no pool games?
Yes there are pool games. Bracket is a blind draw. I believe it is a 5 game guarantee in Premier so I assume platinum is the same. TCS has several levels so depending on which you played can help you compare. The top half of the power pool is the level you will see in PGF Premier. The bottom of the power pool, very upper part of the open is what you will see in platinum. Be very careful with guesting and what the expectations are. It can be a very expensive trip to either not play much or play a lot and spend a week with very hostile parents who were not at all interested in having a guest player that only their coach wanted.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If you get more than a few miles from the ocean, SOCAL can get friggin' HOT. Yeah, it's not Dallas hot, but if you're expecting cool ocean breezes, you're going to be disappointed when scheduled for Anaheim or Yorba Linda.

Orange / LA County traffic is often horrific, especially during the summer months.

Absolutely valid. While we were enjoying a nice breeze and mild temps at the PGF fields in Huntington Beach this past weekend (Surf City Shocase event), my DW was at home commenting about how damn hot it was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802