Passed ball or Stolen base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2021
Runner at 2nd, catcher drops a strike, ball falls to ground runner takes off for third, catcher picks up ball and throws at runner, close call but safe at 3rd. How would you score it

Jul 12, 2019
If I'm doing Gamechanger, it is a steal if she commits to going before the ball is dropped, otherwise it's E2.

If it's my daughter, it is always stolen base, right?

May 6, 2015
If I'm doing Gamechanger, it is a steal if she commits to going before the ball is dropped, otherwise it's E2.

If it's my daughter, it is always stolen base, right?
yes depends on if they broke on pitch or on drop. the former, SB, the latter, PB

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
1.Runner at 2nd,
*2.catcher drops a strike,
*3.ball falls to ground
4.runner takes off for third, 5.catcher picks up ball and throws at runner,
6.close call but safe at 3rd.
?How would you score it?

If a shortstop fielded cleanly a one bouncer. Dropped it. Picked it up And finished the play. No out.
How would you score it?

Some say age level makes a difference.
Guess that means
age level IS compairing to talent level?!

imo
Any player who can
ALREADY CONSISTANTLY
catch and throw the ball.
Should not be dropping the ball.
Error.

Disclaimer i never keep the game book.
👉Appreciate others who do that!
As an athlete/coach, i would have expected myself not to drop the ball. Dropping the ball is well, dropping the ball ;)

Hence the phrase
'They dropped the ball' on that paperwork not turning it in ontime.

Sometimes People see stealing as the runner creates putting that pressure on the catcher so no error....
But NO
this should be a clean routine throw.

Will put it this way...
if every player on your team dropped the ball once in the game. Picked it up and finished no out tho.
And each time a runner got on base or advanced to the next base. Thats 9 runners advancing.
👉Would you say you have a solid defense?

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
I think it depends on the overall level of the teams/game involved. the key thing is would the play have been made with routine effort. routine for 14u A is difffernt than 14u C.

but as descrived, I could probably score an E, unless it was a diving play to field the ball, or on dead run on backhand, etc. in those cases, player may be rushing to make the throw, because of how/where the ball was hit, and then I think you could score it a hit. (ie it was going to take a perfect transfer and great throw to make the out)

Oct 13, 2017
Runner at 2nd, catcher drops a strike, ball falls to ground runner takes off for third, catcher picks up ball and throws at runner, close call but safe at 3rd. How would you score it
Passed ball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23