Outfield technique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
I wanted to ask if there is a particular technique for an OF to run in hard on a pop fly, where they may not quite get there? Often I see on these types of plays, the ball land and invariably skip by the fielder. Line drives seem much easier to keep from getting by, but I wonder, is there a way to approach these fly balls to reduce the chance of it getting by, other than falling on it and smothering it with their body? Should they stay lower to the ground, treat it like a ground ball even though they don't know which way it's going to skip or is there no answer to this? If they don't risk all and run full speed in on it, everyone groans and the coach yells, "Call it", whether they could get there or not. It's frustrating to watch.

Apr 20, 2015
Practice, practicr Practice....these types of balls get slid under, dove for, or fielded on the short hop and it just takes a ton of Practice to learn to read them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
Jeannie, I think you should approach this question differently. I’m not sure it’s a mechanics issue, it’s a deciding issue. Outfielders can get to way more fly balls than they think they can.

I think you should divide it into “balls I should go for” and “balls I should stop”. Quite a bit of that deciding can be done by field geography.

Okay- I'm not going to account for every situation here. Base runners, the score, etc are going to change some of these answers but here are some basic rules:

A cf should go for every ball because her backup should be coming from either side. CF can call off ANY defender especially including infielders and they MUST comply and button hook around in case it’s dropped.

A right fielder should go for every ball that won’t fall between her and the foul line because the cf is there to stop it.

Lf same…. And those balls by the foul line that are going to the corner if they are not stopped are a big problem. So when a fielder knows they are approaching that to stop it, they take a different line to get in front of the ball.

All three need to know the others are using these guidelines and they need to BE THERE for each other.

Any outfielder can call off any infielder. CF can call off anyone. She is the Queen. Always. All fly balls should be called when the ball is at its apex and that call has to be what happens.

Okay so why is that important? Because indecision costs time. Deciding costs time. Worrying about collision costs time. Every ball is a “go for the catch” until the player learns her limits.

This is both a coaching and a communication issue.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Jeannie, I think you should approach this question differently. I’m not sure it’s a mechanics issue, it’s a deciding issue. Outfielders can get to way more fly balls than they think they can.

I think you should divide it into “balls I should go for” and “balls I should stop”. Quite a bit of that deciding can be done by field geography.

Okay- I'm not going to account for every situation here. Base runners, the score, etc are going to change some of these answers but here are some basic rules:

A cf should go for every ball because her backup should be coming from either side. CF can call off ANY defender especially including infielders and they MUST comply and button hook around in case it’s dropped.

A right fielder should go for every ball that won’t fall between her and the foul line because the cf is there to stop it.

Lf same…. And those balls by the foul line that are going to the corner if they are not stopped are a big problem. So when a fielder knows they are approaching that to stop it, they take a different line to get in front of the ball.

All three need to know the others are using these guidelines and they need to BE THERE for each other.

Any outfielder can call off any infAlso
I'm have no idea if it's a standard or not, but we also have outfield call one thing and the infield call another in league/travel ball, jv and varsity ball. It certainly helps in hearing your override call. IE: Outfield calling off infield, ball is hit to a dead zone or shallow outfield. Our outfielders always yell ball ball ball, and infielders yell mine mine mine. They hear ball ball ball, infielders peel off immediately.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Line drives seem much easier to keep from getting by

Uhh...no they're not. They pretty much have to be coming right at the fielder to get stopped. Pop flies allow lots of reaction time, and typically aren't going to the fence if they get by. As Westwind correctly describes, location dictates outfielder reaction.

Jun 8, 2016
DD’s coach has the kids call ball multiple times if you coming in on it. Cannot say it works unfortunately 🙄

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
If a pop up is sliced, the spin of the ball will normally bounce up at a 45-degree angle and in the direction of the spin when it hits the ground. When the fielder becomes aware of this, they can learn to play the hop.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I wanted to ask if there is a particular technique for an OF to run in hard on a pop fly, where they may not quite get there? Often I see on these types of plays, the ball land and invariably skip by the fielder. Line drives seem much easier to keep from getting by, but I wonder, is there a way to approach these fly balls to reduce the chance of it getting by, other than falling on it and smothering it with their body? Should they stay lower to the ground, treat it like a ground ball even though they don't know which way it's going to skip or is there no answer to this? If they don't risk all and run full speed in on it, everyone groans and the coach yells, "Call it", whether they could get there or not. It's frustrating to watch.
Without a video it looks like you've covered a lot of what needs to be done. Suggestion could offer here is~
Get behind the ball and not to the side of it.
Try to limit the distance of a ball bouncing away and create more glove range to both sides just in case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802