Outfield Glove for Player With Small Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2015
My 18 yo DD loves her Wilson A2000 H1175 when playing SS or 2B. She has really small hands and likes how it fits.

She's been getting some time in the outfield lately, too, and I've been looking for a larger glove for her to use out there. She had a HOH FP glove that went soft pretty quickly, so I'm cross-shopping baseball gloves, too.

How do the Wilson Pedroia fit handstalls compare to the Wilson FP gloves? Is there a Rawlings baseball pattern that is similarly designed for smaller hands? I was also thinking about a Bradley. Any other suggestions?

Dec 24, 2012
Chicago, IL
I believe Pro Taper is Rawlings version. My daughter is also 18 and currently uses the 11 3/4 HOH Rawlings Softball in the OF at the recommendation of a Local Softball instructor. She had a Vinci 13” trapezoid that she hated due to its size as well as a 12.5” Vinci. She like the 12.5 but due to her smaller hands she would have a ball here and there pop out of glove. Since shifting to the smaller Rawlings glove nothing has popped out of her glove. I watch a ton of college softball on ESPN and see plenty of balls popping out of girls oversized mitts. I am glad we were recommended using the smaller glove in the OF.

Attachments

• 40AA98B0-963B-4181-A123-B07EBDF47AF5.jpeg
    40AA98B0-963B-4181-A123-B07EBDF47AF5.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Is there a Rawlings baseball pattern that is similarly designed for smaller hands?
Yes, go to the Rawlings custom builder and select a 12.5” Pro302 baseball pattern and select the narrow fit when you start your build. This sounds like the glove she needs. The 302 is notorious for having a snug hand stall.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Sorry, my reading comprehension skills must be a little off today? The Pro302 that I recommended is not a “Pedroia Fit” style fitted glove, it just has a very snug hand stall.

benz99 is right, the Pro Taper is Rawlings version of the Pedroia Fit.

May 4, 2020
My 18 yo DD loves her Wilson A2000 H1175 when playing SS or 2B. She has really small hands and likes how it fits.

She's been getting some time in the outfield lately, too, and I've been looking for a larger glove for her to use out there. She had a HOH FP glove that went soft pretty quickly, so I'm cross-shopping baseball gloves, too.

How do the Wilson Pedroia fit handstalls compare to the Wilson FP gloves? Is there a Rawlings baseball pattern that is similarly designed for smaller hands? I was also thinking about a Bradley. Any other suggestions?
If she loves the Wilson A2000 why not get her a 12.25/12.5”? You know exactly what you getting and Rawlings HOH didn’t work out well for her.

May 23, 2015
Pedroia fit A2000s work very well with small hands. If she doesn't like weak gloves stick strictly to steerhide. Don't get the fancy junk. Also, only use lexol conditioner. No oils and anything heavy. She'll be happy

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
you don't like Kip? too floppy too fast?

I don't dislike Kip, it's just not my first choice. And no, it doesn't get floppy too fast. Have you ever owned a Horween or Jtan Heart of the Hide Rawlings before? Or even Wilson's older Ansonia leather (equivalent to Rawling's Horween), and even Wilson's A2000 Pro Stock Steerhide?

All of these on baseball gloves, not FP gloves. If you've ever had any of these thick, sturdy, Steerhides.......you'll understand why I agreed with 625ender. This is all personal preference, the PP and A2K gloves are super nice gloves!

Sep 19, 2018
MY HoH was a 'standard' Pro 1005 and once I owned it, I never had a desire for a new mitt. Until it was time to buy my DD a mitt. I've only tried the a2k once, I loved the feel but there was something going on in the pinky that bothered me. I think there was support for 2 in the pinky that was bothering me. I tried on 3 different gloves of that model and it all had the issue. I don't remember the model but it was a 12".

I still have the Vinci you recommended on my shortlist. but as I look at an think about her next glove, weight and hand size and the abililty to tighter are all things I think about. I do like that the new Wilson A2000 Fastpitch gloves have gone away from velcro and to a tightening system much like Rawlings pull tabs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449