Ouch…

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I often wonder if the amount of squats with weights these players do is getting to be too much wear and tear on the body? I mean, I see girls that are in high school posting all the time how much they are able to squat, and some are pretty hefty weights.

We had a semi-local D1 recruit go down while playing in her senior year. Used to see her posting on Twitter how much she was squatting.

I am totally just taking a stab in the dark here. I feel for those players. Sounds like the one player had some type of autoimmune disorder going by the fact she’s receiving Humira, but I do wonder for the other one what caused the labrum tears?

May 27, 2013
….and please don’t take my post the wrong way - I totally believe in weight training and do see great benefits from it. I just don’t know if the amount of reps and the amount of weight is doing more harm than good at the HS/college level.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I often wonder if the amount of squats with weights these players do is getting to be too much wear and tear on the body? I mean, I see girls that are in high school posting all the time how much they are able to squat, and some are pretty hefty weights.

We had a semi-local D1 recruit go down while playing in her senior year. Used to see her posting on Twitter how much she was squatting.

I am totally just taking a stab in the dark here. I feel for those players. Sounds like the one player had some type of autoimmune disorder going by the fact she’s receiving Humira, but I do wonder for the other one what caused the labrum tears?
We are not playing football or getting ready for a hammer throw competition. Twelve-year-old, 110 lbs. girls that never lifted weights in their life can hit the ball 210 feet. I am not saying they shouldn't lift but they should train more for speed and agility. Way too many injuries in the weight room.

May 7, 2015
SoCal

That's honestly a little bit of a stretch to link squatting and the two cases that you posted...

May 27, 2013
Definitely is a stretch - that’s why I stated that “I wonder” and “I’m taking a stab in the dark…”

Not saying it’s the cause - but often have wondered if too much weight/reps can cause hip/knee issues in young women.

Can imagine if they are not meticulous about their form issues can quickly arise.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Especially since one is retiring because of a battle with Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis. That has nothing to do with softball at all.

And that’s what I said - the one had an autoimmune disease so it wasn’t the case in her situation.

I was referring to the player who had two torn hip labrums and the local player here where I live who I mentioned. Was not referring to the player taking Humira.

Again - was just pondering the thought - never said it was a direct correlation.

May 27, 2013
Look at it like this - hip labrum tears don’t typically happen from one specific incident (unless there was direct trauma). Usually it occurs and worsens over time, so that is why I’m wondering if all the weight training had an effect. Or maybe - was it overuse during pitching? Something that someone in medical academia might want to study for young athletes.

Again, it was just a thought that crossed my mind.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812