OU and Texas to SEC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
@Schmick’s Gloves

Great post.

Few random thoughts/questions:

Any insight into why Vandy doesn’t field a softball team? VandyBoys are certainly high profile.

Also, the SEC about 10 years ago began funneling more 'merit-based' money to their non-revenue sports programs. So 11.7 became more like 25. And players from all around the country flocked to the conference (which other conferences quickly copied - hello Keilani Ricketts) making it into a powerhouse. I believe this started with Alabama. Can you confirm?

Reference for how conferences can keep their finances private with one private school in the mix? Usually it’s the other way around - one public entity tips the scales towards public rules eg Title IX funding.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021
@Schmick’s Gloves

Great post.

Few random thoughts/questions:

Any insight into why Vandy doesn’t field a softball team? VandyBoys are certainly high profile.

Also, the SEC about 10 years ago began funneling more 'merit-based' money to their non-revenue sports programs. So 11.7 became more like 25. And players from all around the country flocked to the conference (which other conferences quickly copied - hello Keilani Ricketts) making it into a powerhouse. I believe this started with Alabama. Can you confirm?

Reference for how conferences can keep their finances private with one private school in the mix? Usually it’s the other way around - one public entity tips the scales towards public rules eg Title IX funding.

Thanks!

My family and I visited the campus this summer and asked this same question, they’re stance is that they are landlocked in downtown Nashville and can’t spare the space for softball facilities…. Or so we were told

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
they’re stance is that they are landlocked in downtown Nashville and can’t spare the space for softball facilities…. Or so we were told
Vandy has a $10+ Billion endowment... but cannot find "space" ( read: money) for a softball field?

I found some "space" in about 5 minutes. Parking lot 73, would lose about 200 spaces for the softball field. They could easily replace the 200 lost spaces by removing some of the grass medians in the remainder of that lot, or by building a parking deck.

No, Vandy doesn't have softball, because they don't want it.

1630419442514.png

May 16, 2016
Not saying they don't have the money but that isn't how endowments work..most gifts have specific contracts which specify how the money can be spent so if it is not earmarked for general athletic activities or specific softball activies, you cannot just use it to build a field.
I understand that, but it means they are not scrounging for dollars just to keep doors open....

Nov 18, 2013
I’m curious to see how Texas does in the SEC. they haven’t really been dominant in the Big 12 in anything for years. Now instead of Kansas and Texas Tech they’ll be playing Alabama and Florida. Could get ugly.

Jul 31, 2015
Not saying they don't have the money but that isn't how endowments work..most gifts have specific contracts which specify how the money can be spent so if it is not earmarked for general athletic activities or specific softball activies, you cannot just use it to build a field.

Yeah, it's bunk they don't have the money. What they don't have is the will.

Universities with large endowments can always find someone willing to put up seed money to build a stadium, esp if that stadium will be named after them. Directed donations are a thing, but for the largest, most prestigious colleges, the advancement office does the directing.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The entire sports landscape is changing because of the selling your image.

Need to see how it plays out in the next few years but with transfer rules and image I am not sure conference will matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee