one knee?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I found this on the internet:

"Lavarnway was designated for assignment on September 14, 2021 and subsequently outrighted to Columbus on September 17, 2021." It appears that some aren't as impressed with his results as he is.

My DD uses one knee much of the time. She says it helps her be able to get low enough on drop balls to make them look more like strikes. Still has no issues blocking the ball. We were skeptical at first but now we’re big fans of it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

"Lavarnway was designated for assignment on September 14, 2021 and subsequently outrighted to Columbus on September 17, 2021." It appears that some aren't as impressed with his results as he is.
Guy played 10 years in the bigs. 165 games total. Made around $500,000 a year. Not too shabby. Be interesting if somebody picks him up.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

The one-knee stance appears to be the current standard in MLB, or it is at least heading that way, so it seems there are a whole lot of catchers who have a similar opinion to Lavarnway.

Oct 14, 2020
I watched two catchers get drilled by foul tips in consecutive games this fall. My daughter had started doing it (left knee down) to help block and frame, but quit that when she took one just above the top of the knee protector. The other catcher left the game after getting hit on the right leg on the inner thigh. Both girls get hit by the foul tip if in a traditional crouch, but my daughter would've been hit in a protected place and the other girl not in such an unprotected place.

Jul 22, 2015
The results I saw in MLB this year were awful for some catchers. I know that mobility and blocking are supposedly not compromised, but I saw catchers just flat out miss high and/or outside balls in flight that would never have been missed in the past, not to mention blocking far fewer balls. I'm sure there are catchers who it doesn't hurt much, but there were several who seemed very compromised. I wish I could remember where I saw it, but one ex-catcher put together a clip of missed pitches/missed blocks from catchers in the one knee stance that really revealed the areas where movement is compromised.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I don't dispute that a lot of MLB catchers are joining that trend. My comment was that while he wrote an article expressing how much improved he was, his excitement in that improvement was not shared by others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45