Olympics 2021

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
The camera angles are a bit lacking. What is the Olympic softball rule for obstruction. It looked to me like Munro was blocking the base path before she had the ball. However, the Canadian runner came in well outside of the base path planning to reach into the plate, so there was no possibility of a collision. If she had been coming straight down the base path, they could have collided.

Aug 25, 2019

Video of game/catcher please,
was probly watching Baywatch :)

...will do a search...
I was watching the USA/Italy game Wednesday night but I switched over to wrestling. Heres the difference between the two: Wrestling is fake, but you don’t know who’s gonna win, USA softball is real but you do know who’s gonna win.

Jul 5, 2016
I was watching the USA/Italy game Wednesday night but I switched over to wrestling. Here's the difference between the two: Wrestling is fake, but you don’t know who’s gonna win, USA softball is real but you do know who’s gonna win.

The game vs. Canada was really close. While U.S. pitching was very good, one hard Canadian hit in the 6th inning would have resulted in a 3-1 game going into the 7th.

May 29, 2015
The camera angles are a bit lacking. What is the Olympic softball rule for obstruction. It looked to me like Munro was blocking the base path before she had the ball. However, the Canadian runner came in well outside of the base path planning to reach into the plate, so there was no possibility of a collision. If she had been coming straight down the base path, they could have collided.

A runner can not be “well outside of the base path.” The base path is a straight line from the runner to the base they are attempting to attain.

The base line is the straight line between bases. The runner was well off the base line and that is why there was no obstruction. The catcher was not between the runner and the base.

Yes, had the runner gone straight to the plate we probably would have had obstruction and a collision.

Aug 3, 2016
USA vs. Mex there is no field audio and the single announcer sounds like she’s broadcasting from her home back in the states. Quality broadcasting, not. Oh wait, field audio just kicked on in the bottom of the first.

Jul 5, 2016
A runner can not be “well outside of the base path.” The base path is a straight line from the runner to the base they are attempting to attain.

The base line is the straight line between bases. The runner was well off the base line and that is why there was no obstruction. The catcher was not between the runner and the base.

Yes, had the runner gone straight to the plate we probably would have had obstruction and a collision.

Helpful explanation. So, subject to the terminology clarifications, my eyes weren't deceiving me. Munro was on the base LINE before she had the ball.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm... Are people commenting on the type of field used and poor announcing complaining?
Or disappointed?
Seeing the sport we luv has been squeezed into the back corner
of the olympics...
On tv
(oh wait not on a prime channel everyone gets for free) a pay for channel.

Dang if twirly swirly figure skating gets a prime broadcast channel, indoor skating facility and a host of announcers. Fancy costume uniforms,... While trying to skate rhythmically to music most would never listen to ever...with comfortable stadium seating...in a controlled temperature environment...
-and-
One sport players get hand picked to play,
While others athletes actually have to compete for a spot. Like track.

Yep olympics is not equal opportunity if you look at it like that.

However....
We CAN remember that within only about 35'ish years ago
that the olympic commitee took its first HARD CORE LOOK at fastpitch as a possible sport for this competition.
1983 in whittier calif a womans div. international tournament was held to bring together teams showcasing fastpitch for the olympic commitee.
In that tournament
Two 18u teams were showcased as an exhibition game of younger talent. To show the olympic commitee what the next generation of talent looks like.
18u Phil Bruders Ca. Raiders
18u Joe Grubbs Batbusters
Were those two teams.
(with my name on a roster as a Coach for the first time, i was 18.)

(which btw, travel as we know it had only started about 6 years prior to this event!!!)

The announcement came~
It wasnt until about 10 years later when the opportunity for fastpitch to be in the olympics happened!
And EVERYONE IN SOFTBALL WAS THRILLED.

Definetly~
The competition did not look even. It was obvious back then this was going to be a tough path for fastpitch internationally on this stage.

All these years later,
Still only a few teams,
And folks complain about where someone lives playing for there dna country of origin.
(which is the standard)

👉The Topics/questions really should be,
How long will it take to grow more teams?!
Who else will join these half dozen countries to forge forward in the olympics?!

Appreciate that fastpitch is given this continued opportunity!
Appreciate we can enjoy it at this olympic level!
It just may be something
WE GET TO SEE IN OUR LIFETIME
that certainly those befor us never saw,
And the future may only see in historical video.

GOOD THING
WE are part of history now!
ENJOY

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802