Olympics 2021

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
The whole scene at these Olympics has made me grumpy but now I’m just ticked off. Got up in the middle of the night to watch Japan play at a level above what the US is capable of. They deserved the win.

Can’t help but wonder how a younger, looser, less experienced, nothing to prove, nothing to lose Team USA might have done.

Our game plan was tight, off balance and uber conservative in all 6 games.

Where’s the fun? Where’s the risk? Where’s our swagger? Where’s our game?

Great job by the players.
I mean nobody scores much off of Ueno..they may have had more runs against the other teams if they had gone a different path but I am not sure they would have done a whole lot more off of Japan. Everyone would probably agree that the 2008 team had a better lineup and they scored 1 run off of her in the championship game 🤷‍♂️ With the roster sizes being what they are, and runs being at a premium regardless of how good you hit, it is tough to have DP type players on the roster....

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
When your only goal is not to lose, it can be hard to actually win sometimes.

This team was built to maximize defense. They went with experience and it showed all the way through. Even showed this morning. But when you are desperate for every run and you're not confident in the next hit, you do reckless things. It worked for most of the Games; didn't work this morning.

I don't mean to say that a Silver medal is not an accomplishment, but when you walk in expecting no worse than second and you end up second, that's disappointing.
Great post, right on the money! I know they’ve been brought up already but I swear Oklahoma’s entire roster would have been much more entertaining to watch!

After that crazy double play, the softball Gods we’re smiling on Japan, at that point it was over!

Apr 8, 2021
Was that obstruction by the Japan catcher in the 1st? Foot moved and subsequently blocked her hand from progressing to score, just before she had the ball. Too close of a bang-bang play? I feel like that may have changed the game with a score that early.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Was that obstruction by the Japan catcher in the 1st? Foot moved and subsequently blocked her hand from progressing to score, just before she had the ball. Too close of a bang-bang play? I feel like that may have changed the game with a score that early.
This?

Screenshot_2021-07-27-07-15-57.png

Apr 1, 2017
After that crazy double play, the softball Gods we’re smiling on Japan, at that point it was over!

When every game is 1-0, 2-1, 2-0, that one "bounce" makes the difference. USA hits a line drive off of the 3B arm, and that's probably at least bases loaded and 1 out 95% of the time? Today it's a double play.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Great post, right on the money! I know they’ve been brought up already but I swear Oklahoma’s entire roster would have been much more entertaining to watch!

Entertaining? Maybe. But they would have got beaten badly without Abbott or Osterman. College players with limited international experience struggle against full international teams.

USA got VERY lucky to even make the Gold Medal game. Australia outplayed them. Canada was right there and so on. Japan as well - Mexico should have won their game.

Still not sure why Carda versus Abbot in relief in the final.. or why not just start Abbot. I think they overthought that. I feel like the USA had their two best pitchers underused. Japan just threw Ueno out there and went "Make it happen" and went back to her when the game was on the line.

So... 7 years from now - assuming softball returns...

I don't think anyone on this USA roster returns - at least half this roster will not play for TeamUSA again (or maybe even continue playing). Maybe Garcia and Nichols play on - I have my doubts.

Japan will have Goto who is clearly their next star pitcher - who by 2028 will only be 27 with 10+ years of international and Japan Pro League experience. And at least 2 or 3 others that will still be in their prime. That pro league just makes all the difference.

Australia will have Stepto who they pitched in front of Gabbie Plain despite them being basically the same age so you can see what they think of her. So they have every expectation that they will have both of those pitchers in '28. Australia's pro-league is not as good as Japan's but there is plenty of places to continue to play and they may continue to use the NPF as a place to continue to try out players over time.

Not going to get any easier until the USA finds a reaasonable way for players to continue playing beyond college. It doesn't have to be a pro league like the NPF - but it has to be something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478