Oklahoma Hitters

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Sluggers don't receive instruction growing up. Everyone is afraid to touch them.

They hear the other kids coaches talk about hands to the ball, and they think they do it.

What grown slugger was not a slugger as a kid?
For the most part I agree but all these US kids nowadays have hitting instructors from the age of 10. Whether they actually did anything for them is a different story..

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
For the most part I agree but all these US kids nowadays have hitting instructors from the age of 10. Whether they actually did anything for them is a different story..
If you play close attention, the slugger's instructors are usually rah rah feel good people. They are not telling them much. They are afraid because they don't really know what they are talking about.

Jun 8, 2016
If you play close attention, the slugger's instructors are usually rah rah feel good people. They are not telling them much. They are afraid.
You are probably correct. So basically if your kid cannot hit at 8 time to try a different sport.. glad I am wasting my time :cautious:

Edit: My kid can run a bit so I guess slapping is always an option.. :unsure:

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Oklahoma has good hitters for the same reason top universities have a lot of impressive students. By reputation, they attract the cream of the cream and then skim from that.

I am sure instruction can help, but the best instructors in the world need to start with good raw materials.

Dec 12, 2020
If you play close attention, the slugger's instructors are usually rah rah feel good people. They are not telling them much. They are afraid because they don't really know what they are talking about.
I feel a lot of truth in this. Just from my frequency listening to everyone here, there are times I cringe when I hear other area coaches and instructors talk.
Please don't laugh, but I have been my DDs team's de facto hitting coach as parents reach out to me (have always been an asst coach) and I am particularly nervous to touch a teammate's swing, particularly the 10yo that routinely hits 180'.
Having an upfront confidence in a particular and clearly stated philosophy goes a long way in earning trust and feeling well in teaching it. That's not me yet, but I feel that would be the case...specifically with help I'd seek for my dd.

May 17, 2012
I know precious little about hitting, so this is a genuine question. I don't see any similarity between the two gifs you posted. What is it that you see?

People see what they want to see much like a Rorschach test.

From a coaches perspective it doesn't matter a whole lot. A lot of people like to spend 90% of their time on mechanics but it's only one piece of the hitting puzzle.

People do enjoy analyzing hitting so here we are. I don't discuss politics, religion, or hitting in polite company.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Reminds me of when I had a kid sent to me from a higher up organizational team. logistics. Big hitter. Didn’t want to touch her. Didn’t need to for the most part. Hit 4th for us All season. Did great. Got towards the end of the season, couldn’t find contact to save her life. She asked me what I saw. I told her relax and see it. Found it next AB. And was fine the rest of the way.

Moral of the story is, experience is crucial. knowing and drawing from your past experience as a player and coach is the wisdom you should try to impart on your players first. Put yourself in their shoes. Technique would be second. paying attention is coaching. Caring and communicating and knowing something are the other crucial pieces. Athletes will athlete for the most part.

Aug 20, 2017
Cornbread, just because it's your pattern of choice doesn't make it correct.. The rear leg/hip is important (fyb) but trying to control the move out with the rear leg prevents the use of the lead side. Feel free to rob your student of being an athlete but stop leading others with the narrative.

Not what's happening here.

sXPb07L.gif

F5Knp21.gif
I really don’t care if the hitter is one legged or two as long as they have balance and control. My point was timing! OU hitters were consistently early on pitchers throwing gas and I think that is a direct result of the front foot up on time. However, you can get the front foot up on time all day but if you can’t control your forward move it doesn’t matter. IMO if you can teach a hitter those two things the rest will eventually fall into place. How the hitter controls the forward move doesn’t really matter to me as long as it is controlled. I’ve found that using the rear leg to control the forward move helps them feel more in control when you first start working on it. I don’t really advocate for or against any mechanical methods. I advocate for good timing and getting to a good launch position. I don’t talk about one leg or two, TTB or down to. Timing and control. Posture and coil. That’s how I roll.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I really don’t care if the hitter is one legged or two as long as they have balance and control. My point was timing! OU hitters were consistently early on pitchers throwing gas and I think that is a direct result of the front foot up on time. However, you can get the front foot up on time all day but if you can’t control your forward move it doesn’t matter. IMO if you can teach a hitter those two things the rest will eventually fall into place. How the hitter controls the forward move doesn’t really matter to me as long as it is controlled. I’ve found that using the rear leg to control the forward move helps them feel more in control when you first start working on it. I don’t really advocate for or against any mechanical methods. I advocate for good timing and getting to a good launch position. I don’t talk about one leg or two, TTB or down to. Timing and control. Posture and coil. That’s how I roll.

Cornbead, this student from 5-7 years ago They spent all there time (2 years) trying to control there forward move with the rear leg/hip.. Believe it or not there was probably 50 forum pages of folks arguing that she was doing it wrong/wright which is why she couldn't hit in games.. As You can see it prevented her from getting fyb before whipping the barrel.. Parents following along need to learn from others mistakes. The rear leg/hip really shouldn't matter until you get fyb.. IOW's don't force a movement out of sequence.

7MehJ1v.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Cornbead, this student from 5-7 years ago They spent all there time (2 years) trying to control there forward move with the rear leg/hip.. Believe it or not there was probably 50 forum pages of folks arguing that she was doing it wrong/wright which is why she couldn't hit in games.. As You can see it prevented her from getting fyb before whipping the barrel.. Parents following along need to learn from others mistakes. The rear leg/hip really shouldn't matter until you get fyb.. IOW's don't force a movement out of sequence.

7MehJ1v.gif

yup. Thats a reach if I’ve ever seen one. creates too much separation. usually results in drag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812