Odd play in the Tennessee vs Bama game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 9, 2021
1 out and runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits a home run over but it just barely cleared the wall. Runner that started on first went back to tag up on case it was caught. The batter passed the base runner briefly as she rounded first base. They ruled the batter out but counted the 2 runs for the runners that were already on base. Did they get that call right? Not something you see everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
1 out and runners on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits a home run over but it just barely cleared the wall. Runner that started on first went back to tag up on case it was caught. The batter passed the base runner briefly as she rounded first base. They ruled the batter out but counted the 2 runs for the runners that were already on base. Did they get that call right? Not something you see everyday.

Yes

Nov 9, 2021

What about this rule? Does it not apply?

12�4�3 When they physically pass (that is, completely overtakes) a preceding runner before that runner has been put out, unless the passed runner (1) was obstructed or (2) was tagging up on a fly foul ball that is ultimately uncaught�

Since the runner at first was going back to tag up I think that might allow exception 2 to take place.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
What about this rule? Does it not apply?

12�4�3 When they physically pass (that is, completely overtakes) a preceding runner before that runner has been put out, unless the passed runner (1) was obstructed or (2) was tagging up on a fly foul ball that is ultimately uncaught�

Since the runner at first was going back to tag up I think that might allow exception 2 to take place.

It was a HR not a foul ball.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
A similar play happened on opening day between the Dodgers and Rockies in 2021. Cody Bellinger, the batter in question, was awarded a single with an RBI.

Jul 27, 2021
Just for fun ... Had there been TWO outs when she hit the homerun ... no runs would have scored.
Some dad......or mom in the seats would have a stroke.

Yet, it shouldn't happen cause you're not tagging up on 2 outs.

"2 Outs, Run on anything !!"

Apr 18, 2023

Absolutely correct. when the ball left the ball park the runners are AWARDED the next bases. The batter is not guaranteed anything but embarrassment in this situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802