Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
There wasn't even a tag made by the catcher. The video clearly shows the glove and it never touches the runner, even with the slide and person to person contact. No effort to make a tag either.
This is the shot from the paper (not sure if she tagged her before this or not - of course the ump can't see this side)1667492575652.png

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
On a different note, I find it particularly obnoxious is that the school tweeted this to the state High School Association in a petty "look what the umps missed" message. Stay classy.
From comments from the parents/team - it sounds like the umps walked off and wouldn't even discuss the play. This was the semi-final round of the State Championship. If it had been my team - I'd probably be a little pissed too ;)
I don't know if they talked to anyone after the game or not though.
Again it wasn't like it was the tying run but it was the 3rd out and ended the game.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
From comments from the parents/team - it sounds like the umps walked off and wouldn't even discuss the play. This was the semi-final round of the State Championship. If it had been my team - I'd probably be a little pissed too ;)
Again it wasn't like it was the tying run but it was the 3rd out and ended the game.

Not denying their disappointment is valid. Just that a school account tweeting hurt feelings to the state association isn't exactly modeling adult behavior.

Jun 8, 2016

"You want to go back and check every single call throughout the entire game? And then add ’em all up? You don’t. That’s the nature of sports.”

Granted Gino was the beneficiary of the bad call here but the statement is still valid. Stop whining about umps/refs/etc..especially if you are a parent (and no I am not directing this at you @nixxy311 ..just chose your post to quote ;) )

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Neither team is DD's team but they are both teams we play against. The losing team were state champs last year.
But yea - one call doesn't make the game. But it being the last call of the game def left a sour taste in their mouth I'm sure.

Those are the types of plays that you might remember forever. I watch the Braves and this was just a regular season game last season (early in the season too) - where other team scored what would be the winning run when he never even touched home plate. But that is one play I'll probably remember for years to come.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
With two outs the runner should probably have been held at third and maybe faked running home to draw the throw so batter could advance to second. Thats the runner that will tie the game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah but then the kid who hit the ball wouldn't have been able to watch from 1B and give the safe sign.. :ROFLMAO:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I don't know if they talked to anyone after the game or not though.

As an umpire I would obviously talk to the coach if they wanted to discuss the play on the field after it happened. As with any other call.
It sounds like that the call was discussed on the field and they decided no obstruction (right, wrong or otherwise).

Once the game is done, you don't talk to ANYONE more than hello in passing as you walk out (and if you had a contentious game not even that) . You certainly don't discuss the game or calls with anyone - and that includes coaches, players, spectators, etc.

No matter what happened in the game- you get the crew together and leave (through the winning dugout if possible) and head out (to an umpires room or to your cars if you don't have that).

Jul 22, 2015
In this case, the umpire is 1b line extended (and fairly far back) - which used to be the standard, but we understand now really isn't ideal positioning. Really wish more of us would try to update our mechanics to wedge so that we actually have the best look for calls at home.
This umpire would have seen the play SO much better using the wedge. I don't think she would have missed the obstruction and she would have definitely seen if there was actually a tag applied (don't think there was).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478