Obstruction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
*shrug* In my state; being ex-military (preferably Vietnam apparently) and/or current level of sucking up to college assignors seems to be the main criteria on what games/selection each umpire and umpiring room received.

Add in our HS finals are in mid-late May so in the meat of the college softball season so most of those umpires are not available either.
I would say well over half of the best umpires in the state don't even bother to indicate they have interest in doing states most years when asked.

I did a couple of state finals and have no plans or interest in doing it again. Which is a shame.

So much truth ... and it all holds true for my area as well. In Illinois we have "three levels" for IHSA officials. I have never bothered to even take the promotion tests and have no desire to. IHSA constantly laments how they "need to get new officials in the post-season" but then they just keep going back to the usual clique.

The last state tournament I did for USA Softball will likely be the last I do for them for many of those same factors. I turned down a few of their national tournaments because they weren't worth the time they want you to invest.

The last good state tourney I did for USA featured a "diverse" crew on the A-side championship while I and two young ladies worked the B-side championship. Despite not having worked as a 3-man crew before, we did a damn fine job and only missed one rotation (COMMUNICATION is the key). Our game started a bit earlier, so when we finished, I sat with the UIC in the crow's nest watching the A-game. The poor UIC spent the whole championship game shaking her head saying, "I made a huge mistake." But ... it was what USA wanted to see. It was bad. Real bad.

I am probably going to step on some toes, but the optics don't always equate to the output. That said, with 15+ years in PR I understand the value of the optics. I also know the opportunity for it to backfire.

May 29, 2015
I don't think the umps at regular weekend game could pass the qualification test

Plate ump has zero interest in being in the game or making a good call. Might as well have her cell phone out.

I am assuming it was a three-person crew. U1 never bothers to leave his spot at second base (he should have been chasing that ball into the outfield). Instead he turns his back (which some consider "going out" and it takes him out of the play) but he stays there and then completely abandons his duties to watch the play at the plate.

U3 seems to rotate and properly move into a wedge position.

May 29, 2015
I may have missed it. I was skimming through some posts.

I see plenty of criticism for the 3B coach for sending the runner in a 2-run game ... Nobody is criticizing the defense for playing on a runner who doesn't matter?

Apr 14, 2022
i think we already established that this coach won state last year and is in the semifinals this year. maybe the coach is competent.
Maybe, maybe not. Les Miles was horrible with decisions at LSU but won anyway with (especially with Saban’s players). Les Miles making same bad decisions at Kansas lost almost every game.
In modern high school softball, the travel coaches, pitching coaches, etc. develop the players.
Our high school did pretty good, coaches first year. The travel ball team is where they develop.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
All of this discussion as to strategy is really pending observing the players on the field on both teams.

Simply there are certain teams that their defense looks sloppy and that can make a difference.

Control strategy?!
Or use strategy to take a chance on sloppy?!

Apr 14, 2022
All of this discussion as to strategy is really pending observing the players on the field on both teams.

Simply there are certain teams that their defense looks sloppy and that can make a difference.

Control strategy?!
Or use strategy to take a chance on sloppy?!
You play to win the game.
Never, ever risk the runner ahead of the tying run.
Even if obstruction was called and the run counts. Your odds of winning the game are virtually the same the same with the runner on 3rd.
This is really not debatable. You still need a double, a home run, two singles, or a walk and a single to tie or win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598