Not the whole story!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
awesome. I love it. Especially the part about being able to do it all. The best hitters in the game were not necessarily hitting bombs as kids. It is so important for young players to start not trying to hit homers or worry about launch angle.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
A sacrifice fly is an intentional thing, as is hitting a ground ball to the right side to move a runner over. In college we started our BP session with those…2 “move em over” and 2 “bring em in” (and you were yelled at if you couldn’t perform).

I think it’s an important mindset that the girls need to get into from the beginning – that you swing the bat with an intention (vs. just swinging hard and hoping something good happens). I like cues like hit a liner to right center, or hit it hard up the middle.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
A sacrifice fly is an intentional thing, as is hitting a ground ball to the right side to move a runner over. In college we started our BP session with those…2 “move em over” and 2 “bring em in” (and you were yelled at if you couldn’t perform).

I think it’s an important mindset that the girls need to get into from the beginning – that you swing the bat with an intention (vs. just swinging hard and hoping something good happens). I like cues like hit a liner to right center, or hit it hard up the middle.

My problem with this is I don't understand why you would practice making outs. Directional hitting is one thing. Out-making is something else.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
My problem with this is I don't understand why you would practice making outs. Directional hitting is one thing. Out-making is something else.

This was the mid-90's, pre really heavy sabremetrics. The point really wasn't the strategy of hitting a sac fly, or hitting a ball to the right side, but that those are intentional things hitters can (and were expected to) do. I'm not advocating for this particular practice, but rather the cues I mentioned. There should be a reason behind the swing, not just see what happens...

Jun 26, 2019
Very interesting, those guys are playing chess with bobby fisher, while Im losing checkers games to a chimp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28