Nokona Glove for Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2018
In market for a new pitching glove. DD is 15. Still working in her new Mizuno Pro Select 12.75 for outfield. An injury slowed the process. Anyway nokona has caught her attention. I've seen mixed opinions on here in general. I think for this glove though she would prefer something closer to "game ready" even if that means it isn't going to last many years. Other than the walnut series, which isn't that appealing, we can't really find any to try. Spent some time on their website and they have a lot of options. The alpha or X2 are marketed as light weight and game ready and also there's a made in texas glove. Leaning towards a 12" closed web, that made in Texas has a modified trap. Do nokona's tend to run small or large in general. I think a 12.25" would be a good size, but not much offered. Most gloves come either with or without velcro. I'm assuming the velcro models are "female specific" geared towards fastpitch, while the non-velcro are baseball gloves (ie likely bigger handstalls)? Any info appreciated.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I'm definitely not a fan of Nokona gloves, but don't let that sway your decision! I've honestly never had an Alpha or X2 in my hands before. One consideration would be a Vinci BV1929, labeled as a 12.5" glove, it plays right at 12.25", closed basket web and very snug hand stall.

This is a smoking deal on the All-Star System Seven baseball glove, and that's not with the coupon code added. Don't get me wrong, I HATE finger hoods, I think they're an abomination! Does she put her index finger inside or out? Either way it will work with this glove, on my CMW3000 I put my index finger over top of the hood for an extra layer of leather protection.

These are good gloves, and this is a great deal! These are on another level compared to the Vela FP gloves.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
DD uses that glove when pitching and loves it. Chose to use that over a Rawlings Pro Preferred (PROS1000). She used a Vinci BV1929L for years and has worked with a few other gloves in the circle along the way but give that All-Star a try, I think you'll be impressed.

Dec 11, 2010
Used to buy Nokona gloves. 2 or 3 Buckaroos and an X2. DD burned through them in a year or year and a half. They start soft and man they are floppy in no time. Annasdad pointed out they should be lasting longer and he was right.

I thought it was about dd not taking care of it but after switching her to a Wilson custom pro stiff I figured out the problem was the mushy leather Nokona uses.

A stiffer glove on short notice is do-able, it just takes extra work.

Oct 5, 2018
That finger hood looks like a bad tumor.

This one is really for her. I think Nokona has her eye and is what she really wants or at least really wants to try. She likely will only be playing 1 or 2 more years after this season anyway.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Hmm, our family is Nokona thru n thru.. son (8) has had a nokona alpha select s-100 for 2.5 years, hanging together well. Not floppy. My DD (14) has used a X2 and a custom FP catchers mitt, definitely not floppy. I have a 12" X2 utility and it's been used A LOT, that one is not floppy either.
1583938153081.png

I think the biggest thing is to not go overboard with the NLT (nokona leather treatment). It's basically vaseline and will weigh down and make any glove a mushy mess. One of my DD's friends father bought a 12.5" nokona and pretty much ruined it from excessive NLT.

That being said.. To me, nokona's are awesome but the designs are a little old school. The tech in newer gloves are impressive. DD is required to use wilson, the A2000 catchers glove and 12.5 mod trap A2000 are amazing. The synthetic backs make the gloves lighter and higher performance. The gloves have more finger structure in the thumb and pinky area. Regarding the A2000 catchers glove, it seems like a more modern design, the U that the thumb and pointer finger makes is a lot lower making a deeper pocket which to me is really good.

I have just purchased a rawlings 314 HoH 11.5 infielders glove. It is SO minimalistic in the palm. Great "feel". Oozes new tech and way lighter. I'm very happy with the purchase, so much so that I'm selling my Nokona.
1583938109954.png

Oct 5, 2018
I saw that for sale. Too used for me and like you mentioned broken in for man hand. Will definitely avoid conditioner. Generally catch seems to be beat way to break in, maybe a little beating.

Does your DD use the velcro model? Just wondering how velcro compares to non.

Thanks for the info.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Ah sorry, wasn't trying to sell you on it, just showing that it is not floppy even after years of use.

Yes, catchers mitt (both nokona and wilson) use velcro. Her 12.5 uses adjustable laces which to me are the best.

Dec 11, 2010
For an older player I would try to do adjustable laces. All of both DD's Nokonas had velcro, pulled as tight as they could get it. If they set it to their hand and then leave it alone, it really helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478