No such thing as “early connection”?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
n a nutshell, what we find in the data is that there is really no such thing as ‘early connection’ (EC) – rather, what is actually happening is that there is a bat-torso connection gap that is created earlier in the swing which continues through the point of EC. This bat-torso connection gap is closed through one-directional adjustments of the bat and torso angles – in opposite directionswhich get hitters to approximate connection around the time of contact.

Yep.

Jul 31, 2019
Man these conversations are great! I just wish there was a glossary of terms so I could understand what you guys are referring to.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The connection Cannonball is referring to is not the early connection blast motion speaks of. So it is very confusing. I like cannonball's connection description. And yes the hands get thrown off the tilt a whirl. Not the Ferris Wheel or the merry go round. 😂 The "early" connection blast motion promotes is the barrel of the bat connecting or getting on the same plane of the pitch. Supposedly the earlier this happens the better BUT this new data shows that those blast motion metrics is not how the best players swing and doing so may cause and early flattening of the swing which may be detrimental to the hitters mechanics and power.

I think that's right, but I am not 100 %. Please feel free to correct me if I am mistakened.

Just think of the poor kid that's been trying like heck to get his early connection numbers down per his "hitting instructor" and now realizes all that work was for not.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
As people try to promote their products or instruction, they create their own terminology. Often, terms or phrases already exist for those things. In controlling the terminology, you make people dependent upon your product or instruction. I've seen it for decades. Back in the day when discussion board options were limited to a few sites like ETeamZ and SetPro, and Mankin's Batspeed.com, common terms were created so that everyone knew what was being discussed. As this progressed and other message boards blossomed, it got a lot more complicated. Then, businesses like RVP created certain terms like the "RVP Connection Point." The truth is, very few meaningful discoveries have happened. I still use my knowledge of PCR (W)(Posture, Connection, and Rotation along with Whip) and the Hanson Principle. It all seems to work just fine.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The "early" connection blast motion promotes is the barrel of the bat connecting or getting on the same plane of the pitch.
Not exactly right:

"Blast Motion defines early connection as: “The relationship between the body’s tilt and the vertical bat angle at the start of the downswing.” In other words, it tells a hitter where the barrel of their bat is when their hands start rotating forward in the swing, or at the hitter’s “first move”. Ninety degrees is the ideal score."

So if the body tilt is 90 degrees to the plane of the pitch then you are right, but I think that, while the body tilts in relation to the height of the pitch, at lower locations there is significant divergence.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478