No such thing as “early connection”?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
It makes sense from an optimization/mathematical perspective. Once you put a constraint on a problem (in this case maintaining a 90 degree bat/body angle over a large portion of the swing) the solution is typically going to be suboptimal in terms of maximizing/minimizing (depending on what you are looking at) the desired outcome. Typically constraints are things which are required by nature (eg conservation of energy,mass,etc) to occur and not conditions which are imposed through an assumption of what should be happening.

The only thing I would say which might be contrary to the data presented, is that the adjustments which are being made in the data shown may be out of reach for some hitters (due to a lack of athletic ability) in which case perhaps asking for more EC for these hitters might be beneficial...maybe.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
My initial takeaway is that early connection limits adustability. But honestly I have to read through it again and let it sink in, some of it gave me a headache. What I found interesting is that the data conflicts with many common ideas/theories on swing mechanics.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't use blast motion, so unaware they used a poor metric but not surprised either.

Most important take away: (so far, back to reading)

One interesting data point to note is that MLB hitters have slightly less VEA/VBA change. As you will note in the second set of charts below – it just so happens that hitters with less than 10 degrees of change have better contact quality and overall performance. It is very possible that lower level players could possibly improve their performance by reducing their amount of flattening.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"We find that the average ‘early connection’ (EC) angle is 109 – a whopping 19 degrees away from the 90 degree target that many are using as optimal."

I don't think 19 degrees is whopping and the idea of FEELING connected (not necessarily early though. early is early flattening) is not horrible. That fact that some hitters using this blast motion data and changing their swing (maybe for the worse) based off it is pretty sad.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't use blast motion, so unaware they used a poor metric but not surprised either.

Most important take away: (so far, back to reading)

One interesting data point to note is that MLB hitters have slightly less VEA/VBA change. As you will note in the second set of charts below – it just so happens that hitters with less than 10 degrees of change have better contact quality and overall performance. It is very possible that lower level players could possibly improve their performance by reducing their amount of flattening.

No thoughts on torso lateral flexion increasing or shoulder tilt increasing rapidly? Where did I hear that before? 😆

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802