No Stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
She looks good to me, looks like she's getting weight shift and moderate coil.
Only issue I've had with my no-stride kids is if there are timing issues I haven't figured out an effective way to speak to them. My normal cues like start the stride sooner, or slow and control the stride don't apply. Open to suggestions if anyone has any.

a cue I use is keep the front foot down as long as possible. Yes it’s counter intuitive. Start in a 50/50 stance. this will get the middle/upper to move you forward more than the stride. Or the legs. I think using the word ‘stride’ or ‘step’ can be destructive. It’s a ‘fall’ that is taking place, not a stride or step. Try this drill CT3 is using. Notice the middle move him. Not his legs.

1634147056374.gif

once proficient. Let them be athletes. Whatever they want to do to time a pitch is personal imo.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Her first swing is her best swing. I like no stride. Shoulders start downhill (good) but she slots elbow slightly early losing her downhill position slightly early and unnaturally. This is why her swings follow thru is flatish. Overall a good swing.
No stride should be taught to all hitters new to the game. Its easier to teach with less moving parts. If they decide to switch to striding they will have a good foundation and if they decide to switch back to no stride it wont seem foreign.

I have no issue with no stride, but I actually think it should be the last thing you teach most kids.

Most kids (in my experience, well over 90%) who pick up a bat and don't want to stride also don't want to use their lower half at all. They're all arms, and the hardest thing is getting them to understand how the legs work in the swing. Can you teach no stride while also teaching them how to use the lower half? Probably. But when they're naturally predisposed to basically not using/moving their legs at all on a swing, teaching them a small stride to force them to engage the lower half works much, much better.

Feb 5, 2019
Ohtani doesn't stride. There's alot of slow motion video of him on YouTube. If you model her after him she's going to be alright. If I had to teach my daughter all over again I would do no stride.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

What’s wrong with loading back? He is getting his butt into the swing as he sits. She doesn’t sit. She just moves against the back leg he coils around the back leg as the hip socket bottoms out, sitting to hit. She isn’t pinching the scap and using the back. She just moves her hands/arms.

In summary, we have a weak spring, because it isn’t set at the bottom or top to stretch. The spirals aren’t allowed to flow.

Although, I think she is close. I like her swing and I think she does a good job on the no stride. A have 1 no stride hitter and I’m going to convert another ( has happy feet and I think she is scared of the ball). She has been playing up to be on her twin sisters team. This year she will be at the correct age group.

I have a lots of no stride swings!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

What’s wrong with loading back? He is getting his butt into the swing as he sits. She doesn’t doesn’t sit. She just moves against the back leg he coils around the back leg as the hip socket bottoms out, sitting to hit. She isn’t pinching the scap and using the back. She just moves her hands/arms.

In summary, we have a weak spring, because it isn’t set at the bottom or top to stretch.

Although, I think she is close. I like her swing and I think she does a good job on the no stride. A have 1 no stride hitter and I’m going to convert another ( has happy feet and I think she is scared of the ball). She has been playing up to be on her twin sisters team. This year she will be at the correct age group.

I have a lots of no stride swings!

i see what you’re saying. I see pretty much the same. But I see it through movement and leverage. The sitting is a shift of weight back to center. Or leverage. The shoulders don’t load, agreed. But that has everything to do w the middle not leveraging first. Nice gif. Good comp.

Feb 1, 2021
I like no stride. I think she looks pretty good for a newbie just trying it. Just be careful with all the little bits she adds for timing. A no-stride swing can be super compact and quick, but those little extras can really slow down the timing, ending up with a negative load that never comes back to neutral. I see lots of kids be late to the ball because they add a lot of twisting and swaying of the hips, a coiling the knee too far, etc that can be slow to get out of come pitch time.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
i see what you’re saying. I see pretty much the same. But I see it through movement and leverage. The sitting is a shift of weight back to center. Or leverage. The shoulders don’t load, agreed. But that has everything to do w the middle not leveraging first. Nice gif. Good comp.

Yes there is leverage.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I like no stride. I think she looks pretty good for a newbie just trying it. Just be carefully with all the little bits she adds for timing. A no-stride swing can be super compact and quick, but those little extras can really slow down the timing, ending up with a negative load that never comes back to neutral. I see lots of kids be late to the ball becaue they add a lot of twisting and swaying of the hips, a coiling the knee too far that can be slow to get out of come pitch time.

Your seeing it done wrong. lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802