No Pitching ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
My DD team had their first practice last night (12U Little League). I have the opportunity to manage/coach the team...

What do you do when you have no pitching?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Panic.

Then go find a basic instructor to help teach the very basics and try EVERYONE at pitcher for a couple of practices. Then work constantly with those that show even the slightest talent at it. I wouldn't do it in travel, but in rec and no pitching you can have 3-4 girls work at least 50% of all practice time on pitching - just not walking 10 girls a game will be a success early.

If you are in a multi-team division (i.e. there are at least 4 12U teams) I would make a huge fuss with the division commissioner on how you are meant to compete with no pitcher (assuming you didn't draft the team - but rather acquired it). You can ask for help in coaching up a pitcher (i.e. give me a coach or someone contacts who are willing to help) or a trade giving you someone who can pitch.

You can also start reading the pitching forum here and see if you can educate yourself to at least be able to teach the basics. Tough road in little league with too few practices to be successful though.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Happened to a Team in our League last year. HC threw windmill, leg drive and pretty much everything you read here out the window. They taught their pitchers to slingshot the ball and did really well.

Feb 7, 2014

Great advice !

The draft is not an issue (no draft)... Only 12 girls from the town interested in playing - so they're all on the team. They will play the neighboring towns within the district.

I probably will devote more of the practice to pitching than I otherwise would.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
How don't you have pitching? I read some comments on a facebook group from a bunch of 12U players and they all threw 60+. They were very convincing. One of the girls said she's playing 16U because she throws 63 and then asked when they moved 16U to 43ft instead of 40ft. I was cracking up. Oh sorry that didn't help at all.

I would redraw the city boundary lines and include the houses of all the best pitchers-Not an option you say?

Seriously, it's about making the girls better so find some that want to learn and parents THAT are willing to put the time in and have them throw at practice as much as possible. The skill increase will be huge from the start so find 2 that are pretty accurate and you might be ok by the end of the season.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Great advice !

The draft is not an issue (no draft)... Only 12 girls from the town interested in playing - so they're all on the team. They will play the neighboring towns within the district.

I probably will devote more of the practice to pitching than I otherwise would.

If possible, go to the local High School and offer up service hours to their pitchers to come on down and help out. We had a great deal of success at a league level doing this.

Good luck.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD started pitching because both of the pitchers we had the season before aged up. As Marriard suggested, line everyone up and give them a try. Ask for a volunteer and see if you can talk their parents into starting pitching lessons.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
Have had this issue year after year. I live in a small town and all pitchers go directly to travel teams. Give them all some basic instruction and start picking three you can make pitchers out of. Be prepared to donate a bunch of time sitting on a bucket because their parents won't go out and catch for them. Good luck.

Oct 22, 2009
I would ask local PC's if they'd help.

I'm doing actually that for my local league. They have a 10u & 14u with absolutely no pitching. I'm working with 3 girls right now, 2 10's and a 13yr old. I've had 4 workouts with them and have worked with them on toss mechanics. Just getting them to toss over the plate. I watched the 13yr old in her first scrimmage this weekend and she didn't do well at all, they tried 2 more but she was still the better of the 3.
When I see them again, I'm going to start teaching them to flip the release and add some drive mechanics.

And as for the above comment about no parental involvement. It's true, when I had the girls sign up I said only those with parental involvement and most of the time they are just tossing into the fence and not doing any practice other than the Saturday I work with them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore