No Fans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I know- especially since you lived the college sports thing and I didn’t!

I just worry that freshman parents underestimate the importance of showing up. At first I thought I was there to watch softball but I soon figured out it was for dd. I had no idea she would need it. That realization happened in Tampa at a steak house when dd ordered the biggest steak she could order, two servings of steamed broccoli and two baked potatoes. My 135# speedster cried when they came back and told her they were out of baked potatoes. I thought hmmmmm........ Something going on here, lol

Jun 8, 2016
I know- especially since you lived the college sports thing and I didn’t!
My freshmen year my father went to a few games (I went to school an hour from where I grew up) but I rarely played so he didn't go to too many. My sophomore year, when I started, I quit right after we came back from playing down south to start our season so he never saw me play. To be honest by that point he was probably sick of my antics anyway and was probably glad I quit when I did. I played summer ball after I quit and he didn't go to a game....it was probably embarrassing to watch your kid behave like a jackass.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
When I played, I think the only time we saw any parents was on parents' weekend. Then again, our team was pretty lousy.

I think my parents went to see my brother a lot more (like 2 or 3 weekends, and regionals) because they were really good, and he pitched all the time (his school's appearances leader for a while, only one in the top ten before 2005 I think).

Things have probably changed a lot. I would expect to go see my kid a lot more. If the Ivy League has a season, I hope to see my nephew play this spring more than my own parents ever saw me (if allowed).

Jun 8, 2016

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD just texted me saying that fans are not allowed to attend games. Meanwhile, I am looking at letter from the Athletic Director that says in Bold. We will likely have limited capacity at venues, but having our parents is our first priority. We want you to be able to come watch your son or daughter play. I canceled our flight for next weeks games.
Do we have to prove if we're a parent or not 💁?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Here is my DD's Conference's Covid attendance policy. Every school is different. What upsets me the most is that baseball can have 150 spectators and softball only 22. The fields are literally 20 feet away from each other.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/asc.sidear...S_VERSION_Campus_Spectators_Info_01_06_21.pdf
At least they're playing, I found this for the NESCAC (Little Ivies).

As the New England Small College Athletic Conference and its member institutions prepare for the spring semester, the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff, and communities remain our foremost concerns. Although COVID case numbers have started to decline, nationally and in our region, the numbers remain far higher than they were at the start of the fall semester. After a careful review, the NESCAC presidents have agreed that conditions will need to improve significantly in order to conduct conference competition this spring.

I suppose this could change but it's getting late.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
I was bored a couple of weeks ago and watched DD's archived games.

You are not the only one. After watching DD's archived games (sometimes twice), I somehow stumbled upon IGHSAU Iowa Farm Bureau Girls State Softball Championships on youtube. They have knowledegable commentators, gave overviews, multiple camera angles, overlay graphics, introductions, replays, etc... It's done up right and very professional, and it's high school! Oh, BTW, there are 1A, 2A, 3A... games, for multiple years to watch...:p And I'm not even from Iowa nor does DD play in Iowa!!! Well done though for sure! Best I've seen. And some of the games are great fun to watch. (Extra inning state titles, come from behind wins, upsets, tight games, tears of joy, heartbreak, celebration, tears of sorrow, etc) You can thank me later, lol. Or am I the only one?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449