NLI signed, a note of thanks to the DFP'ers is in order from a long time lurker

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2014
Bamberg, SC
What a ride it has been. The absolute wealth of knowledge on site has been been the best. From hitting instruction to recruiting stories and all others in between. I have soaked it all in for the past 7 years and passed on what I could, to DD. It definitely made a difference (even with some of the crazy banter).

That being said, I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about how the process would work and the expectations along the way. Our experience was a little different, albeit a happy ending.

We followed all the recruiting advice and just kept grinding on the field. We were blessed to play for good organizations all along the way, with some great coaches that really developed players and prepared them for the next level. That was a godsend and the difference maker in this journey. DD always enjoyed being on the teams she played for and really liked her teammates/coaches.

I will echo the sentiment that everyone's recruiting journey is different. We did all the normal stuff (e'mails to coaches, playing good tournaments, posting video etc). We were cruising along the recruiting scene adding to the list and crossing off the list of schools. For us an unexpected phone call came and the rest was history. Just when I thought I knew how the recruiting would go down, I wasn't even close.

The take away's? E-mailing coaches- you gotta do it. Go to camps where you want to attend, for sure. Posting video is your friend in this day and age. DD is a 2022 and a product from the COVID years. Use it, it's the next best thing being there and getting you on someones radar. You'll be in the dark on where you stand during most of the recruiting journey, so adjust to that expectations. When you commit, don't stop grinding. Your coaches are critical to your success, thank them once and a while (same for your parents).

A hell of a first post I suppose. DFP is a gem and I didn't want slip in acknowledging that before we move on to our next chapter in softball.

Now, the real grind begins.

FWIW- DD will be wearing orange/white at a place called "Rocky Top."

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
What a ride it has been. The absolute wealth of knowledge on site has been been the best. From hitting instruction to recruiting stories and all others in between. I have soaked it all in for the past 7 years and passed on what I could, to DD. It definitely made a difference (even with some of the crazy banter).

That being said, I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about how the process would work and the expectations along the way. Our experience was a little different, albeit a happy ending.

We followed all the recruiting advice and just kept grinding on the field. We were blessed to play for good organizations all along the way, with some great coaches that really developed players and prepared them for the next level. That was a godsend and the difference maker in this journey. DD always enjoyed being on the teams she played for and really liked her teammates/coaches.

I will echo the sentiment that everyone's recruiting journey is different. We did all the normal stuff (e'mails to coaches, playing good tournaments, posting video etc). We were cruising along the recruiting scene adding to the list and crossing off the list of schools. For us an unexpected phone call came and the rest was history. Just when I thought I knew how the recruiting would go down, I wasn't even close.

The take away's? E-mailing coaches- you gotta do it. Go to camps where you want to attend, for sure. Posting video is your friend in this day and age. DD is a 2022 and a product from the COVID years. Use it, it's the next best thing being there and getting you on someones radar. You'll be in the dark on where you stand during most of the recruiting journey, so adjust to that expectations. When you commit, don't stop grinding. Your coaches are critical to your success, thank them once and a while (same for your parents).

A hell of a first post I suppose. DFP is a gem and I didn't want slip in acknowledging that before we move on to our next chapter in softball.

That's a strong first post. Hopefully you can top it in the future. Congrats. Very cool.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Congrats! The real question is...what took you so long to post?

Dec 11, 2010
Congrats!

What a cool place to attend school and play softball!

Its going to be a heck of a ride!

Jul 31, 2015

Congratulations!

Please consider helping others by posting your thoughts and experiences going forward. We could all use a little help.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021
Congrats! What grade was your DD in when she started emailing coaches? Did you go to the camp at Tenn? Did coach come to her game? Was first call the offer or a series of discussions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2014
Bamberg, SC
Congrats! What grade was your DD in when she started emailing coaches? Did you go to the camp at Tenn? Did coach come to her game? Was first call the offer or a series of discussions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
E-mailing was heavy in sophmore year through junior year (e-mailing schedule before every tournament). COVID was weird with limited in person viewing during that time with the extended dead periods, so the video's help immensely. It's getting a little back to normal slowly but surely. Yes, coaches came to many games (even after committing moreso). It was a short series of calls & texts leading to verbal. Sending updates/highlights when we had them allowed for continued looks (even when they couldn't respond or be there to watch). We played many big tournaments, so there were always coaches there (CO Fireworks, PGF Nationals, Scenic City etc). We went to camp at TN too ( a must if that's the school your DD really wants to attend). They'll be looking at big picture too if they are interested (grades, how your DD carries herself on and off the field, the parents, talking to coach etc.). It's not just performance on the field.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2