Nice weather at PGF Nationals So Cal.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Like I said I don't agree with the Orgs telling coaches where they can and cannot play. I just don't like you CA guys whining about having to travel out of state once in a while :ROFLMAO: (and yes I know the whining was tied to your above complaint..)
We went to the $parkler. We even qualified for Alliance. But CHOSE to play in PGF after we secured (won) out premier berth.

Jun 8, 2016
We went to the $parkler. We even qualified for Alliance. But CHOSE to play in PGF after we secured (won) out premier berth.
Yes I know you went to Sparker..we messaged about it ;)

Right, that is how it should be IMO. Choose the tournaments which fits your team the best (for multiple reasons including cost,competition, exposure, etc).

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Like I said I don't agree with the Orgs telling coaches where they can and cannot play. I just don't like you CA guys whining about having to travel out of state once in a while :ROFLMAO: (and yes I know the whining was tied to your above complaint..)
I'm with you on this. Every other team in the US has to travel a ton to get to these higher tier events. Don't you think these teams would like a break too??? Those midwest teams were probably pretty happy to drive to Indiana to play. Take a look at all those 14U Cali teams that I posted. It seems that only the top 2 or 3 teams of those 4 organizations will travel to the bigger events.

To the point of having a deep roster. Cali teams seems to show up with 24 kids in the dugout. Most likely poaching kids from other teams in the organization. Also, having to play the same team 2 or 3 times...that's exactly what the college teams do every weekend. Remember the day when you rode 1 pitcher all weekend? Still happens, but not as much. Are you going to go deep with only 2 pitchers on the roster? It's possibly, but very unlikely. Lastly, college pitchers are stronger and have been trained to have stamina. HS kids aren't there quite yet, unless they have been pitching every HS game and get the opportunity to play 7 inning games in the summer.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm with you on this. Every other team in the US has to travel a ton to get to these higher tier events. Don't you think these teams would like a break too??? Those midwest teams were probably pretty happy to drive to Indiana to play. Take a look at all those 14U Cali teams that I posted. It seems that only the top 2 or 3 teams of those 4 organizations will travel to the bigger events.

To the point of having a deep roster. Cali teams seems to show up with 24 kids in the dugout. Most likely poaching kids from other teams in the organization. Also, having to play the same team 2 or 3 times...that's exactly what the college teams do every weekend. Remember the day when you rode 1 pitcher all weekend? Still happens, but not as much. Are you going to go deep with only 2 pitchers on the roster? It's possibly, but very unlikely. Lastly, college pitchers are stronger and have been trained to have stamina. HS kids aren't there quite yet, unless they have been pitching every HS game and get the opportunity to play 7 inning games in the summer.
I was sort of kidding about the whining (look I wouldn't like having to travel to another state if I could play a similar event in my backyard) but I do agree that in this day and age where there are top teams from all over the country that can compete for a championship, having the championship in different locations (which rotates) makes sense. I don't think CA teams complaining about THAT is fair.

I do hope that we get to go to CA at least once for 16's and 18's..I think that would be cool. It would also be cool if they had it in the Northeast so that some of my relatives could go watch DD play (in particular my father who has never seen her play in person).

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I totally get it. Coach/families need to determine which tourneys they want to attend. Being in HTX we have enough events to keep us local until the summer run. Fall: did not need to travel. Summer: Usually traveled to 3 or 4 big events. Texas State TCS (Dallas), IDT, Jo Cup, TCS Nat's. One time TCS Nat's was in Austin. You choose the type of team base on competition level, travel, coaching, etc. ETA: @pattar just said the same thing.

If you want to go to school in Cali, no need to travel unless you plan on playing P5. Then those college coaches want to see you playing against the best. For the most part Cali college coaches do not travel and recruit outside of Cali. I don't recall ever seeing a Cali coach at any events DD played. Am I right?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was sort of kidding about the whining (look I wouldn't like having to travel to another state if I could play a similar event in my backyard) but I do agree that in this day and age where there are top teams from all over the country that can compete for a championship, having the championship in different locations (which rotates) makes sense. I don't think CA teams complaining about THAT is fair.

I do hope that we get to go to CA at least once for 16's and 18's..I think that would be cool. It would also be cool if they had it in the Northeast so that some of my relatives could go watch DD play (in particular my father who has never seen her play in person).
DD played at Perris, CA--the hot AF desert for the JO Cup. Then in college this past spring in the Northern LA area. Cal Lutheran, La Verne, Occidental which was a fun trip for the family. That is when I discovered In & Out is WAY overrated. Those soggy fries were horrible.

Jun 8, 2016
DD played at Perris, CA--the hot AF desert for the JO Cup. Then in college this past spring in the Northern LA area. Cal Lutheran, La Verne, Occidental which was a fun trip for the family. That is when I discovered In & Out is WAY overrated. Those soggy fries were horrible.
Burgers are ok at In and Out, similar to Five Guys but Five Guys fries are WAY better. I've been to CA multiple times but never to play (or watch) ball..

Jun 8, 2016
I totally get it. Coach/families need to determine which tourneys they want to attend. Being in HTX we have enough events to keep us local until the summer run. Fall: did not need to travel. Summer: Usually traveled to 3 or 4 big events. Texas State TCS (Dallas), IDT, Jo Cup, TCS Nat's. One time TCS Nat's was in Austin. You choose the type of team base on competition level, travel, coaching, etc. ETA: @pattar just said the same thing.

If you want to go to school in Cali, no need to travel unless you plan on playing P5. Then those college coaches want to see you playing against the best. For the most part Cali college coaches do not travel and recruit outside of Cali. I don't recall ever seeing a Cali coach at any events DD played. Am I right?
This Fall DD (second year 14U team and we are in OK for anybody who doesn't know..) has 3 tournaments (school ball is the Fall here..HS ends mid Oct..DD, who is in 7th grade, will end mid Sept). A local (warmup..) tournament, a Top Gun event in KC and Fall Top Club (here). Spring/Summer is going to be another few Top Gun events (KC and northeast OK), Top Club (here), Tulsa Elite Invite (NE OK), Alliance Championships (here this year for 14's), Sparkler and then I think maybe 1 or 2 in TX. Coach said he is going to push hard to get into Power Pool for Sparkler. We will also play 16's in a few local tournaments at the beginning of the year. Not exactly how I would have done it but it isn't bad overall in terms of managing cost/competition. One tournament in the Fall requiring hotels stays and 5-7 in the Spring (NE OK might be manageable to go back and forth for some of the team..not us in Norman). Everything is driveable.

The team is going to add a few good players (to get to 14..they ran with 12 this Spring/Summer and didn't lose anybody) from what I have heard from the coach and they ended the Summer playing good ball so I am looking forward to it...(well I am looking forward to her looking forward to it..I am still trying to figure out how to actually enjoy watching the games.. :cautious: )

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
Just remember California is a big state. There are a lot of teams within 100 miles of Huntington Beach, but not all of us. Its' 424 miles from the state capital Sacramento to Huntington Beach. It's almost 700 miles from the Oregon border to Huntington Beach. Tulsa, Oklahoma is only 640 miles from Indianapolis.

Had a parent who had a few days to kill between TCS Nationals and PGF message asking if I could help them contact Rich Balswick to schedule a lesson. I said sure, if you are willing to drive 409 miles for a pitching lesson. That is almost as far as Chattanooga, TN is from Indianapolis.

It's almost 800 miles from the top to bottom of California. New York City is only about 10 miles further away from Indianapolis as the Oregon border is from Huntington Beach.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802