Nice weather at PGF Nationals So Cal.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Nice! Closer and same benefit is a good end result!
Not always closer. We will see if we travel to CA for Nationals (if it is there and I assume it will be once at least) once they hit 16’s/18’s. I think they will..they chose not go as first year 14’s this year.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
@RADcatcher
I'm not sure why a coach would feel that Alliance needs a deeper pitching roster. If anything, the fewer number of games in a single day favors Alliance.. The reason is the 4 different small double elimination brackets (regional, supers, elite, championship 3 game series). None of the brackets overlapped, i.e. you didn't play a regional game and a super regional game the same day... For PGF, it is common to play a ton of games in a single day in the losers bracket.

I think it is great that Alliance setup gives teams multiple chances in a tournament to get back to the winners bracket. In PGF if you lose the first game, good luck.

As far as Tier 1 and Tier 2, super super lame that a team would forfeit because of being in Tier 2. I think it says more of the shortcomings of the coach and org than it does about Tier 2 alliance.. Just look at the 16u T2 winners, Athletics Mercado Hoevermale.. LEGIT team

The way that I look at it.. The two best tournaments in terms of tournament bracket structure were TCS Nationals and Alliance. When PGF has been doing it the same way for years and years, with shortcomings that people have been complaining about for years, and competitors come in and do a better job maybe they need to take notice and make some changes.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
When and if parents question this situation be prepared for an answer like...."Well, um, the Org. allowed um, some of our less competitive teams to play pgf because blah blah blah.
No one in the referenced org was told they can't play PGF. The wording (paraphrased and received first hand from multiple coaches that I talked to) was "you know our (organizations) position within the Alliance and stance regarding playing the AFCS, I'm not telling anyone where they can and can't play. You'll have to make your own decisions of what events you'll enter this summer"

In any organization there are teams that operate on the fringes. Some are competitive, some not so much. Most however, join an organization to be a part of it and reap the benefits of the collective knowledge, availability of training, and recruiting prowess.

It's not much of a stretch to think that coaches (and teams) who reap the benefits of being in an org choose to support the org in their decision on where to play.

Money (spent traveling) will always be an issue, but honestly it's called TRAVEL ball.. We are lucky to not have to travel that much in CA.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher
I'm not sure why a coach would feel that Alliance needs a deeper pitching roster. If anything, the fewer number of games in a single day favors Alliance.. The reason is the 4 different small double elimination brackets (regional, supers, elite, championship 3 game series). None of the brackets overlapped, i.e. you didn't play a regional game and a super regional game the same day... For PGF, it is common to play a ton of games in a single day in the losers bracket.

I think it is great that Alliance setup gives teams multiple chances in a tournament to get back to the winners bracket. In PGF if you lose the first game, good luck.

As far as Tier 1 and Tier 2, super super lame that a team would forfeit because of being in Tier 2. I think it says more of the shortcomings of the coach and org than it does about Tier 2 alliance.. Just look at the 16u T2 winners, Athletics Mercado Hoevermale.. LEGIT team

The way that I look at it.. The two best tournaments in terms of tournament bracket structure were TCS Nationals and Alliance. When PGF has been doing it the same way for years and years, with shortcomings that people have been complaining about for years, and competitors come in and do a better job maybe they need to take notice and make some changes.
Part of the deeper pitching roster some coaches commenting having to play the same team multiple times.

I agree and find that TCS has good format and produces tournaments on good Fields with good college attendance.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Right never said everybody wants to complain but the fact of the matter is people ARE bitching because they are being made to play Alliance rather than stay in CA to play PGF. Are those same people complaining when they go out of state for other events or is it just because they have some issue with the Alliance vs PGF turf war? @Rolling Hard ?

Or maybe it is just where the Alliance events are being held (Indiana,OK,etc.) Maybe CA people can give Alliance a list of acceptable places they would like to visit..(sort of a like a no-trade clause in MLB...) :ROFLMAO:
I don't mind the turf war but let's fight it with all volunteer armies. I believe most parents/coaches/players still want the freedom to choose what they believe is best for their team.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
One more point on this subject of dictating where and when a team can play. I want to make it clear, it is not just one event, PGF Nationals, we are talking about. PGF and Alliance have over a hundred Showcases, Qualifiers, Tourneys and Camps throughout the year. Organizations that strongly recommend (dictate) that their teams do not participate in any of these events is a complete disservice to the softball community on a whole.

Jun 8, 2016
One more point on this subject of dictating where and when a team can play. I want to make it clear, it is not just one event, PGF Nationals, we are talking about. PGF and Alliance have over a hundred Showcases, Qualifiers, Tourneys and Camps throughout the year. Organizations that strongly recommend (dictate) that their teams do not participate in any of these events is a complete disservice to the softball community on a whole.
Like I said I don't agree with the Orgs telling coaches where they can and cannot play. I just don't like you CA guys whining about having to travel out of state once in a while :ROFLMAO: (and yes I know the whining was tied to your above complaint..)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812