NFHS question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2015
NFHS rules. Runner on 3rd, 2-1 count on batter. Batter swings and misses, catcher drops ball and batter takes off for 1st. (Only two strikes) Catcher throws to 1st and runner on 3rd runs home. Does run count? Batter was not intentionally deceiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Run counts. Players are expected to know the situation (it's odd how that is commonly applied to the defense and not the offense though). It is commonly accepted as a "Whoops!" the first time.

Slippery slope ... I understand the logic of objecting to this. Do this frequently enough (at a level where it shouldn't be happening) and an umpire does have grounds to say, "This is an illegal tactic, not a mistake."

Apr 28, 2015
Thanks. This was a middle school game and was pretty obvious not on purpose. Your explanation is how I explained my ruling to the coach but I just wasn’t positive I was correct. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2022
If I may expand, we had a 12U coach that would instruct his batters that, with a runner at first, the batter was supposed to jog to first on ball three simulating a walk. Then, the runner at first would also jog to second. After the opposing coach or umpire would clarify that it was not ball 4, the batter would come back, but the runner at 2 would stay - essentially a stolen base.

In the 2018 (if memory serves correct) case book, they actually address this where by the first time it happened, if the umpire deemed on purpose, the coach would be warned. Any time it happened after that would be penalized.

Jan 22, 2011
Will need to do some digging through the casebook for that. There is a high school in our area that has a reputation for doing this on purpose.

May 29, 2015
If I may expand, we had a 12U coach that would instruct his batters that, with a runner at first, the batter was supposed to jog to first on ball three simulating a walk. Then, the runner at first would also jog to second. After the opposing coach or umpire would clarify that it was not ball 4, the batter would come back, but the runner at 2 would stay - essentially a stolen base.

In the 2018 (if memory serves correct) case book, they actually address this where by the first time it happened, if the umpire deemed on purpose, the coach would be warned. Any time it happened after that would be penalized.

First time you get the benefit of doubt. Second time you chose to leave the game early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802