NFHS - Coach with IPAD on first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 29, 2015
Watching DD#2's HS game last night, the opposing first base coach was keeping score via gamechanger while coaching first base. I thought that was illegal, which seems to be validated by the rule difference doc (last updated 2019) linked. I asked the umpire about it and he said the rule had changed to allow electronic devices as long as they are only used for scorekeeping? Can anyone verify that?

https://www.nfhs.org/media/1019874/2020-usa-softball-ncaa-nfhs-rule-differences-final.pdf

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I thought what the umpire said is true, I know it is allowed in most rule sets. Hard to keep track of them all.

I am good with it.

(I looked in your rule set and you might be right. Brief search I could not find anything to allow it. Hard to believe NFHS is behind the times.)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
Watching DD#2's HS game last night, the opposing first base coach was keeping score via gamechanger while coaching first base. I thought that was illegal, which seems to be validated by the rule difference doc (last updated 2019) linked. I asked the umpire about it and he said the rule had changed to allow electronic devices as long as they are only used for scorekeeping? Can anyone verify that?

https://www.nfhs.org/media/1019874/2020-usa-softball-ncaa-nfhs-rule-differences-final.pdf
From your link it looks like you can do more than just keep score electronically. Kind of vague wording so there are a lot of things you could say fall under recording or transmitting a player's or team's performance. The violation by the base coach was doing it outside the confines of the dugout. Have to verify there wasn't a change since 2019.
Personally I wouldn't make a stink about it. The coach is scoring the game, the tools are just different than a scorebook and pencil.

Mar 29, 2015
From your link it looks like you can do more than just keep score electronically. Kind of vague wording so there are a lot of things you could say fall under recording or transmitting a player's or team's performance. The violation by the base coach was doing it outside the confines of the dugout. Have to verify there wasn't a change since 2019.
Personally I wouldn't make a stink about it. The coach is scoring the game, the tools are just different than a scorebook and pencil.
No stink made....just a friendly inquiry..."hey Blue, I know he can't do that in USA...is it ok now in HS ball" Agreed that there is no real advantage, especially since it's his girls that are at bat and he should know their tendencies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598