NFHS 2023 -- Blinged out edition!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I was thinking out loud as a parent and a coach. I don’t think it’s up to the ump especially if it’s not against the rules.

As a parent, I have no idea why I would let my kid play wearing jewelry. (Hint: I wouldn't.)

As a coach, I have no idea why I would let a player play wearing jewelry. (Hint: I wouldn't.)

You are wrong though ... is is exclusively up to the umpire and that is my issue with this. As an umpire, I have no idea why I would have an opinion as to what jewelry is safe and what jewelry is not. NFHS has deemed some jewelry to be safe and some jewelry to be dangerous, but is neglecting to tell us what is what.

"Sorry coach, those earrings have got to go. My daughter had those cheap nickel/cobalt earrings and they got infected. Very dangerous." Whatever compounds they are making jewelry out of these days must be the same exploding compounds they are using in the bats that @CoreSoftball20 used to tell me about. ;)

Jul 19, 2021
Which part? I haven’t seen the language on the POEs yet, but I can probably give you a good idea.
sorry that quote didn't work correctly. I was asking specifically about the drying agent portion. I didn't see anything mentioned about it in the link, was curious what was being said about it and if things were being added or removed from the approved list.

May 29, 2015
sorry that quote didn't work correctly. I was asking specifically about the drying agent portion. I didn't see anything mentioned about it in the link, was curious what was being said about it and if things were being added or removed from the approved list.

I figured something malfunctioned there ... :)

POEs are not changes to the rules (though sometimes we seem to get new "interpretations" through them). Points of Emphasis are just that, things that are already rules but NFHS feels need to be enforced better, reinforced, or brought up as reminders.

I'm not sure what the issue will be with drying agents. I cannot think of a time when I have ever had an issue with this, other than the debate between umpires over whether dirt is a foreign substance or not. :rolleyes:

They have not released the full language on the 2023 POEs yet. Here is what the 2020 rulebook provides for drying agents:

The pitcher shall not at any time during the game be allowed to use tape or other substance on the ball or contact points of the pitching hand or fingers; nor shall any other player apply a foreign substance to the ball. A pitcher who licks her fingers shall wipe them off before bringing them in contact with the ball. Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powdered rosin or any comparable drying agent may be used to dry the hand. It is not necessary to wipe off the drying agent before making contact with the ball. The pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, arm or thighs which the umpire judges to be distracting to the batter.

PENALTY: (Art. 2) An illegal pitch shall be called immediately. (6-1-1 Penalty)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I figured something malfunctioned there ... :)

POEs are not changes to the rules (though sometimes we seem to get new "interpretations" through them). Points of Emphasis are just that, things that are already rules but NFHS feels need to be enforced better, reinforced, or brought up as reminders.

I'm not sure what the issue will be with drying agents. I cannot think of a time when I have ever had an issue with this, other than the debate between umpires over whether dirt is a foreign substance or not. :rolleyes:

They have not released the full language on the 2023 POEs yet. Here is what the 2020 rulebook provides for drying agents:

The pitcher shall not at any time during the game be allowed to use tape or other substance on the ball or contact points of the pitching hand or fingers; nor shall any other player apply a foreign substance to the ball. A pitcher who licks her fingers shall wipe them off before bringing them in contact with the ball.

Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powdered rosin or any comparable drying agent may be used to dry the hand. It is not necessary to wipe off the drying agent before making contact with the ball.
'It is not necessary to wipe off the drying agent before making contact with the ball' reads pretty much like it's okay to have some sort of substance on pitchers hand when touching the ball,
...under supervision as stated.

Licking has to be wiped off. But drying agent no.

The pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching hand, wrist, arm or thighs which the umpire judges to be distracting to the batter.

PENALTY: (Art. 2) An illegal pitch shall be called immediately. (6-1-1 Penalty)

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
1669135821542.png

I don't use GC, but this silliness makes it impossible for a short-staffed team to use GC. I've seen quite a few first/third base coaches doing it, and it's fine.

May 29, 2015
Mechanical stopwatch is fine - electronic stopwatch ist verboten.

A stopwatch is not a communication device, so I don't know where you get that from.

View attachment 26899

I don't use GC, but this silliness makes it impossible for a short-staffed team to use GC. I've seen quite a few first/third base coaches doing it, and it's fine.

I understand your point, but a coach needs to be coaching on the field, not playing Candy Crush. ;) For that matter, they shouldn't be keeping a paper and pencil book out there either. They need to be aware and focused on the game. (Yeah, I know.)

If you don't have the staffing to have a parent volunteer keep GC, who has the time to even look at the data?

Oct 14, 2020
A stopwatch is not a communication device, so I don't know where you get that from.

I understand your point, but a coach needs to be coaching on the field, not playing Candy Crush. ;)

I'm not going to say it happens every time, but several times when I have seen a coach trying to keep GC (or whatever) on his/her phone, it results in them taking a phone call or texting on the field.
I see "transmit or record" information about their team and I see a wide window. Communication is not a necessary part of the action they're targeting. The comment about the stopwatch was my (poor) effort at pointing out the absurdity of worrying about this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802