Newcomer to the game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 18, 2023
Hi! I came late to softball, starting at 14, but that doesn't mean I love it any less. A year later, I'm playing 16U, and I've been taking advantage of y'all's advice to better my game.

My current short-term goal is to make it onto JV in the spring as a freshman (although I'd love to make it to travel or Varsity someday!) As for positions, I'm a utility outfielder who, if my coaches are feeling comedic that day, moonlights as a 2nd baseman. I'd like to learn catching, but, considering all the equipment that entails, I don't think that's pragmatic. Going into fall ball, I have two main goals: up my hitting game significantly and improve my softball IQ.

I also have a third, very important goal—the one that coaxed me out of just lurking here—which is to learn to slide. Unfortunately, I've run into a mental block that impedes me from doing a bent-leg slide even if Oxford's tuition depended on it. I'm looking to overcome that.

No matter what happens, I'll always be grateful for the sport that has given me everything: a reason to be active, a reason to be passionate, and a reason to meet loads of wonderful people I doubt I would've otherwise.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Get as large a piece of cardboard as you can find (old refrigerator or washer / dryer box *with staples removed) ... Break it down so it's just one large flat piece and lay on the grass somewhere ... Then take an old top sheet off of a bed and lay it flat on top of the cardboard ... 1.) Step back about 20-30 giant steps to begin with and face the cardboard / sheet set up. 2.) Empty your head, i.e.; don't over think it. 3.) Run and jump on the sheet folding one leg so that your ankle is behind your other knee ( in a somewhat sitting position, not laying completely flat) ... That's it, you're sliding. If that is just too much, wet the grass with a garden hose and throw down something to act as a base ... The wet grass will act like a slip and slide.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles