Newbie Coach - LBR Rule Nuance Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Something you can try if you trust your players to pull it off: Have your pitcher intentionally turn her back on the runner to bait her into going. You get them once or twice this way, they'll either stop or they'll have to do more than just assume your pitcher isn't ready for it.

May 27, 2022
Does the runner at third start moving as soon as the pitcher has the ball in the circle? If not, she's out. You should be able to work with the umpire to make sure it's being called properly.

Would seem to me that even if the catcher throws the ball to the pitcher, the pitcher would have time to throw back home if the runner takes off.

May 17, 2012
Awesome advice. Thanks again coaches!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reality is that in 12u rec you are going to have kids that can't throw and catch. In most rec leagues you are going to have to rotate kids to 3B who aren't very strong. Any series of events that include throwing and catching is optimistic.

The way we handle this in our rec league is a coaches' agreement before the game on what is allowed. We like to see "softball plays" where kids are hitting/bunting/stealing in real situations. Instead of for example stealing on every passed ball or in your case abusing the LBR.

If the coach you are playing is a jackass it is what it is. I think your best route is diplomacy before the game and also getting your league commissioner's ear on this.

Just my opinion.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Awesome. This forum is great. I was dreading snarky responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You get real answers on honest questions here. Snark is what is given to someone who wants to figure out how to game the LBR to score more. Or the coach who refuses to accept that he didn’t know the rule and wants to argue. Like “well yeah but the ball bounced into the outfield and that removes the force play”.

Jan 25, 2022
I told a LL pitcher to just take the throw back as normal with everyone in their normal position and stand in the circle, then let the runner stand there until everyone got tired of waiting. Figured the 3B coach would stop doing it if he knew everyone was tired of the delays. Ended up catching her in a rundown right after that and she stopped anyway.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I told a LL pitcher to just take the throw back as normal with everyone in their normal position and stand in the circle, then let the runner stand there until everyone got tired of waiting. Figured the 3B coach would stop doing it if he knew everyone was tired of the delays. Ended up catching her in a rundown right after that and she stopped anyway.
In this situation. The runner can’t just stand there. If the pitcher has the ball in the circle and is not attempting a play the runner must decide and go in one direction of the other.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Best option is what I tell my catchers. Number one is to recognize a big lead and call it out to let the entire infield know that a potential delay steal is on. Second thing is to have them call to the pitcher which direction they should move. i.e. If here's a big lead towards third from second base, yell 3,3,3! The pitcher moves to the part of the circle that is in direct line with a throw to third from the circle. Meanwhile, your catcher is moving two steps or so in front of the plate and down the line to shorten the throw. By moving your pitcher 8' closer to third, you are also shortening the throw to third. This should be an automatic out if they try to steal after the pitcher brings both feet into the circle when they step in after receiving while looking at third and BR the entire time.

In your situation, your catcher should be calling 4,4,4! and stepping just in front of the plate one foot width off the third base foul line inside and 2 feet or so up it to receive the throw. The pitcher should be closest to home with one foot in the circle and one foot out towards home. Both scenarios preferably with the foot outside the circle being their glove foot to keep their throwing arm behind them in the circle and ready to throw after transition. Again, it should be an automatic out should they try to steal.

May 27, 2022

The rule book says that when the pitcher gets the ball with both feet in the circle, the runner must immediately make a decision and start moving. I've 'discussed' it with umpires before. It usually ends with " you look at the rule book tonight and I'll look at the rule book tonight and one of us will be smarter about it tomorrow"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee