Newbie Coach - LBR Rule Nuance Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2022
Hi There -

I help coach a 12u rec team that has the LBR in effect. Each team has about 3-4 "aware" players who play "all-star" travel, but the other 8-10 girls only play about 15 games a year. In other words -- the level of play can be very inconsistent.

Here's the situation -- Runner on 3rd. On the pitch -- coach instructs runner to go about 20-25 feet and STOP. Catcher "catches" ball. Opposing coach is hoping our catcher tries to make a play instead of just chasing her back. If no play is made and ball is returned to pitcher

Is there any way to play this other than having the catcher chase the runner back to 3rd after every pitch. While also having 1st baseman covers home...and catcher returns ball to pitcher in circle.

If we return the ball to pitcher immediately - since runner is stopped off base - she can advance "immediately" on the catcher/pitcher exchange.

What is the preferred method that others use here? It gets old having an 11 yr old chase a runner back after virtually every play. BTW - we drew up a trick play yesterday and had our SS cheat in. Catcher was supposed to fake throw to pitcher and then throw 25 feet to SS who had cheated in behind the runner and was a strong player -- but catcher airmailed it.

Please note - that we intentionally rotate players to various positions and we try to be strategic on when/where we place our stronger players depending on pitcher, score and such...

Any advice from the pros ???

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Have the 3B run down the line even with the runner and have the SS cover the bag. Catcher throws to 3B. Throw is not as far and less likely to be air mailed and SS is backing up the throw. Do that a few times and the runner won't be taking such a large lead. Run it in practice with a runner and see what happens.

Jul 22, 2015
In addition to what was said above, I often had my pitcher walk in a few steps, catcher checks the runner and steps in front of home plate, then makes a strong throw to the P. The P just walks the 2 or 3 steps back into the circle, and there shouldn't be any way for the runner to advance if you do it correctly. LBR is in effect as soon as the P enters the circle and the runner has to make her decision. Also, don't have the C chase her back. No reason for her to leave the home plate area.

May 1, 2018
Have the 3B run down the line even with the runner and have the SS cover the bag. Catcher throws to 3B. Throw is not as far and less likely to be air mailed and SS is backing up the throw. Do that a few times and the runner won't be taking such a large lead. Run it in practice with a runner and see what happens.
This.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
In addition to what was said above, I often had my pitcher walk in a few steps, catcher checks the runner and steps in front of home plate, then makes a strong throw to the P. The P just walks the 2 or 3 steps back into the circle, and there shouldn't be any way for the runner to advance if you do it correctly. LBR is in effect as soon as the P enters the circle and the runner has to make her decision. Also, don't have the C chase her back. No reason for her to leave the home plate area

This^^^ Catcher should be taught to get the ball back to the P quickly. Pitcher should not turn her back to the runner and catcher needs to be ready in case the runner makes a break for home. Run this in practice too with a runner doing a couple of scenarios by putting pressure on the P/C.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Catcher never leaves HP with a runner on 3rd. That's going to invite the runner on 3B to take off. I'm not a fan of the catcher chasing anyone around the diamond.

3B up with runner as discussed...slightly ahead. Pitcher to the front of the circle...still inside. If the runner is ~1/3 between 3B and H, strong throw from C to 3B next to runner and attempt a tag. Otherwise a strong throw back to the pitcher with everyone ready for a quick throw back to the plate. Pitcher can put throwing hand on the ball inside the glove, but anything more is probably considered a play attempt and removes LBR momentarily. Pitcher never turns her back on any runner off the bag. Practice it.

This nonsense ends with infields that handle the ball well.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My only addition is to teach LF how to properly backup.

Then, it's an easy out.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
I was going to say pretty much what everyone said. Have 3B shadow. The reason teams teach that crap is because teams won't throw it & the catcher will only chase them back. If you throw the the shadowing 3B once early in the game, even if the runner is safe, the coach will likely tell the runner to shorten up their lead & you may not have to worry about it anymore.

They are banking on your unwillingness to throw & you have to show them you want to throw it.

As was said by others, you need to practice it. If it turn into a panicked situation you'll be unsuccessful & it will never end.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom