New softball sports science.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
A lot of midwest excitement on social networks about "#2"'s coverage in the video. Good stuff!

May 6, 2012
Texas
I love watching these so much. Can never get enough of when they compare baseball to softball and people get to realize how tough our sport really is. Thanks for the post.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
246tl3m.gif

5ouuc7.gif

59x5xx.gif

Feb 7, 2013
The problem with this "science" is that it's a fallacy that its just as difficult (or more difficult) to hit a softball in fastpitch than a baseball in MLB:

- a softball is much easier to hit (make solid contact) because its 70% larger than a baseball;
- fastpitch hitters use composite bats, not wood bats. Let's see how how many extra base hits we would see at the NCAA super regionals if the players used wood?
- a baseball can spin 1,000 rpm faster than a softball and because of the longer baseball pitching distance, the movement pitches have much more break than a softball (making hitting a baseball more difficult);
- baseball pitchers pitch from an elevated mound, which is from a more difficult angle for hitters to hit. Why do you think baseball has elevated mounds (if you answered to give the pitcher an advantage, you are correct)?

So, why I think these sports science clips are interesting, you need to look below the surface to get the real story...

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
You always hear that hitting a baseball/softball is the hardest thing you can do in sports, but I've always maintained that scoring a goal in hockey is the most difficult thing you can do in sports.

While wearing heavily padded gloves and using a skinny stick with a flat offset end, you have to hit a round disk of rubber past a minimum of one well-padded opponent(s) into a 6'x4' goal while balancing on thin strips of metal strapped to your feet that will be sliding on ice. To top it off, during all of this, someone is mugging you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keatonskidmore