New(ish) player on an established team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2010
Getting along is mandatory

Being friends, isnt.

Teams are going to change yr to yr.

Choosing kids and parents that work well with the team , is the coaches job. There are good players passed over because of other reasons, including parents behaviors.

There were players and parents we didnt care for at 14U, 16U, 18G. But everyone got along.

Girls competing for positions and field time can create animosity, between girls and between parents.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
When considering a move to a different team the social aspect of that team is just as important as the competitiveness. With the amount of time your going to spend with them, social could be considered more important.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Getting along is mandatory

Being friends, isnt.

I’m a big supporter of this. DD is in year two of 12u and half of the team is new girls. The other half is the core group she started with.

At the first practice HC said “You all don’t have to be best friends. But when we get together as a team we act and support each other as a team. We work together to better each other.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
When considering a move to a different team the social aspect of that team is just as important as the competitiveness. With the amount of time your going to spend with them, social could be considered more important.
Depends on the age level and the level of play. At the younger ages I agree the social is important. At the older ages especially on a highly competitive team there is a job to do and most parents and players know that

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DD is in the same situation. Both travel teams she's been on - she's been on with her friend from rec ball so she at least knows someone going in. But her previous team most of the girls all went to the same school and lived about 5 minutes from the practices. The girls were all nice enough and got along but it always felt like we were on the outside. Ended up leaving as DD's friend wasn't getting as much playing time - DD always did even though she joined later than her friend but DD wanted to stay with her friend.
Current team - there's a core group who have been together for a few seasons. But some newer ones. There's a few who all live in similar areas but not everyone goes to the same school which is nice. DD is just shy but I do think this group is better at trying to involve everyone - I do think doing bonding exercises is good - if your coaches could do that - it might help.
DD's coach had them all get a partner - not their choice - and write a letter to them. And during practices - they try to make sure they throw with a player they haven't thrown with. So anyway they can to break up the cliques a bit is helpful for the newer players. I think coaches do see it though and good ones will do something about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28