New GoPro....why can't I record as much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I posted this on our FaceBook page this morning, but thought I would pass it on to you all as well. We get this question quite a bit and thought this might help folks record their games with less trouble; specifically, running out of space in the middle of a game:

So you upgraded your GoPro to a new model and now you can't fit as much video on your SD card, even at the same resolution as before? Well regardless of what Meghan Trainor says, it's not all about that bass. It's actually all about that "bitrate". Bitrate is the number of bits (data) in each second of recording. The newer cameras capture at a higher bitrate than the previous models. This is actually a good thing because you are capturing more data which will translate to better, more clear video. However, the price you pay is storage. See our image for an example at 1080p/30. More to come in a future blog post at all resolutions.
(reference link on FaceBook)

GoPro Time Matrix Sample.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2015
I'm not an expert on cameras but was considering purchasing a GoPro Hero 4 Silver to record my kids games. I also some something that a newer model (GP 5?) might be out soon. Just wondering if I should wait for a newer model or is everybody pretty happy with the Hero 4 Silver? With travel ball starting in May, would like to get one soon.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I had the same issue with the Ion Air Pro this week. My other camera (Ion Air Pro 2) is floating off the coast of FL with some great footage of manatees and dolphins swimming next to my kayak. I upgraded to the Ion Air Pro 3 and the video is much crisper, but I ran out of storage much more quickly than anticipated. Live and learn!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Question...I was hesitant to put the GoPro on fence when it was 95+ degrees and in direct sunlight...how much heat can the GoPro handle?? I didn't record any games because of how hot it was this weekend.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Question...I was hesitant to put the GoPro on fence when it was 95+ degrees and in direct sunlight...how much heat can the GoPro handle?? I didn't record any games because of how hot it was this weekend.

Commercial temp grade for electronic components is 0-85C, so you should be OK, but the internal temperature of the Go Pro could get much hotter than the ambient air temperature.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri

We play mostly in central Missouri and play in the 100+ range sometimes. I place a hat over my GoPro and it keeps the sunlight from overheating it.

St Louis Cardinals hat not required, but clearly better than everything else. :)
HatShade.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802