New gloves

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2020
So you went with white lace? Because of the dying process expect them to get soft quicker than normal.
Is that anecdotal or factual? After baseball I've been in athletic gear my entire working career. I've never heard that.

Despite internet lore thinner laces are used because it's more forgiving. Running wider laces on a ball glove takes tweaking to get the tension right throughout the glove. Gloves are made by low skilled labor in poorly developed locations. Precision is hard to come by.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Ok I'll investigate. What's your source? Are you in the tanning or raw goods business? If so I probably know you
Having Jeffrey Rous tell me so! My only dealings with a light colored dyed lace (camel / blonde) were in my daughter's Rawlings Pro206. Within 5 or 6 months they were very stretched and shoe string floppy as a 5 or 6 year old glove! In probably the 40+ gloves I've owned, over 90% had tan laces, intentionally!

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
After a year, DD's Liberty Advanced was getting floppy. When I tightened it up, I had pulled over 2 1/2" of white lace from across the top of the fingers. So, my limited experience with white laces stretching in that glove is very similar too. Now I'm keeping a close eye on the laces to try to catch them before they break and get it relaced.

Jun 26, 2020
Having Jeffrey Rous tell me so!
Don't know him never heard of him. Who does he work for?

White laces are painted. Same as any other light color. Leather is a natural russett color akin to rawhide chew dog bones. You can not dye leather to a lighter color. Only darker colors. Painting a lace has nothing to do with the elasticity or strength of a lace. Cheap paint may flake. The width and thickness of the lace do. Manufactures hit prices points for retailers and brand owners. In turn they will cut corners using cheaper by leather, PU, thin laces..... All laces stretch. 3/16th laces are cheaper than 1/4" laces. .08mm thick laces are cheaper than 1,1mm thick laces it's all economics. Stretch is what makes the fingers of the glove confirm to the ball while the fingers stay rigid (on nicer gloves). Thin laces will need to the tightened more often than thick laces.

40 years goofing around the glove industry (player/sales/sourcing) and I have zero evidence of the lace color making a difference

All that said. Most glove manufactures know that players will use them 1 or 2 years and get another. That's the goal. Bat manufactures know that most players will hit x numbers of balls every year and make them according

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802