New glove reccomendation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2022
Hi all- my daughter is a 15YO pitcher/ 1st who has been using a A2000 we are looking at getting her a new one to start breaking in- I think her current is a 12" but has always seemed small for her- she is close to 5'10
Any reccos on infield gloves greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I wouldn't recommend the same glove as a pitcher as I would for a first baseman. Pitchers need a small glove, so a 12 or 12.25 is perfect, but a 1B mitt is so much bigger. Player height doesn't have anything to do with glove size at that age.

I've seen some girls use their regular fielding gloves at first, but it usually doesn't work too well.

Nov 18, 2022
She has a medium sized hand and is primarily a pitcher- that is what she is looking to play in college- her travel team she is primarily
A pitcher and gets minimal time on first except on seeding day some. As a freshman last year she was the primary pitcher getting about 70 percent of innings on the mound and the remainder she was on first. Right now she is looking for a new pitching glove only as she does have another fielding one she also uses. The A2000 is 3-4 years old and has been re strung but she is wanting to look at other brands probably in the 12.25. Even at that size she feels the a2000 seems small

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
She has a medium sized hand and is primarily a pitcher- that is what she is looking to play in college- her travel team she is primarily
A pitcher and gets minimal time on first except on seeding day some. As a freshman last year she was the primary pitcher getting about 70 percent of innings on the mound and the remainder she was on first. Right now she is looking for a new pitching glove only as she does have another fielding one she also uses. The A2000 is 3-4 years old and has been re strung but she is wanting to look at other brands probably in the 12.25. Even at that size she feels the a2000 seems small

The Rawlings Heart of The Hide or Pro Preferred are fantastic gloves. Don't be afraid to look at baseball gloves. A lot of girls prefer them to the fastpitch gloves because the hand stalls tend to be a little larger.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Or there's this Horween beauty in a fastpitch glove. And my price is significantly lower.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Or there's this Horween beauty in a fastpitch glove. And my price is significantly lower.

Come on LE, it’s Featherlight leather…..have you not learned anything from me??

You know Featherlight is an abomination to the Horween Tannery name!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Come on LE, it’s Featherlight leather…..have you not learned anything from me??

You know Featherlight is an abomination to the Horween Tannery name!
Abomination is pretty harsh. I'd call it a softer, easier to break in leather than the standard Horween, which even you'll admit can take up to a year to be game ready.

Since I don't want to hijack the original post, I'd ask what's your budget on the glove? Is she partial to a certain color and pattern? How about hand stall size? Narrow or standard? Lastly, how much effort do you want to put into breaking it in?

Nov 18, 2022
I'm going to guess standard hand stall size but going to go out this week and actually put her hands in a few- just been so busy playing most weekends lately.
Not too worried about breaking in as hers is still good but she wants to get a new one started to have it ready to go for the upcoming summer season. The A2000 took a bit to really get broken in to where she felt comfortable with it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28