new from Louisiana here to learn whatever I can to help my 7u daughter next few years

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2021
Louisiana
hi Im glen from prairieville, La, Im a "little" older Dad 56 and my 7 yr old loves the game, and I want to give her every opportunity to succeed any suggestions as we go along is certainly appreciated she is on a tournament team now , she is really fast(it was recommended i put her in private lessons for track so i did and she is doing quite well) other than that im just her to listen to u experienced parents and see how much i can absorb to help me girl thanks in advance Glen

May 6, 2015
keep it fun

lots of ice cream cones after practices/games

fundamentals, educate yourself on good throwing mechanics, good swing mechanics, and focus on that, not results at 7u (seen lots of "stars" at 10u and younger with poor mechanics, drifted back to pack quickly as years progressed).

play lots of catch with her.

do not reccomend bribing her with $20 if she breaks your nose when you pitch to her. DD seems to drive everything straight up the middle ;)

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My daughter started T-Ball at 4 as she grew tired of watching her older brothers play baseball. By 8 we knew she had a gift so she started travel ball. She's now first year 16U and visiting potential colleges to play ball at. Seems like yesterday she was a T-Ball player. Be supportive but not pushy. The only words after a game should be "It was a joy to watch you compete.", not "why did you "<insert learning moment here>?". Enjoy the ride and take lots of pictures and videos.

Mar 8, 2016
Welcome. I wish I had found this site when my DD was that age. It would have saved me from making a lot of mistakes early on. Lots of good info and good people here. Enjoy every minute. Never turn her down if she wants to play catch or hit. You only get so many chances before they are off to college. The old saying of the days drag by and years fly by could never be more true than for youth softball. Make it fun. In the early years the key thing is to figure out how much of the journey to let them own and how much you need to push. It is easy to make mistakes both ways.

Jul 19, 2020
Glen... how much is your money, sanity, and weekends worth to you?

I’m kidding. Welcome. We’ve been at this for about 6 years now. Lord willing we’ve got 7 left in us.

There’s been plenty of great advice for your DD above. I’d encourage you to enjoy it, take plenty of pictures, learn when to push and when to let go. It’s never the hits, catches, pitches that you’ll remember. It will be the relationships you form with fellow players and parents and most importantly, the time spent together.

I’d start over tomorrow if I could just to do it all again.

When it comes to your part, always support. You can give advise, direct, and guide but at a certain age you have to realize it’s her career. There’s been sometimes that I was flat wrong and sometimes shes was 110% right. Look out for her. There’s a ton of great people in this sport but some will not have her best intentions first. Don’t skimp on the resources and let people or organizations resumes speak for themselves.

You said she loves it so that’s the perfect start.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021
Louisiana
Welcome. I am from Pride and my DD is a 14u player. Lots of good info on here.
awesome thanks Sir usssa 14u? fasa? mine still has one more year in 8u tournament ball team and shes improving and has some serious speed but shes not ready to move up early but i see others on her level that the parents say they are moving them up i dont say anything other than mines not ready but now they talking of moving entire team up, but im gonna do what I think is best for my DD even if it means joining up with a different 8u team she stuggled all fall last year as it was really her first real full year after covid cancelled most of last spring , and is just now starting to see her work pay off i dont think it benefits her to right back into struggling in august i think shye needs to taste some success first i dont understand moving up just to say you moved up early Am I wrong here? How do you feel about that ? Im quite sure it must happen alot?

Mar 21, 2021
Louisiana
My daughter started T-Ball at 4 as she grew tired of watching her older brothers play baseball. By 8 we knew she had a gift so she started travel ball. She's now first year 16U and visiting potential colleges to play ball at. Seems like yesterday she was a T-Ball player. Be supportive but not pushy. The only words after a game should be "It was a joy to watch you compete.", not "why did you "<insert learning moment here>?". Enjoy the ride and take lots of pictures and videos.
yes sir i think thats how i found this site because i was googling "how to keep my mouth shut after a game" lol or something like that and ran across some "biblical" words that sounded just on the lines that you are saying and it made me realize although I may think Im helping I could actually run her away from something we both enjoy and so so far ive gone thru a roll and a half of duck tape but i havent said squat about the games on the way home going on 4 weeks now lo thanks i appreciate all advice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802