New 10u dad - question about team required to use specific brands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2024
Hello! I have a first year 10u travel player who I guess can technically play 8u still with the new age August 31 age cutoff for most orgs. I wanted to ask people who have been with the batbusters how strictly the Wilson, Demarini, Louisville, Evoshield, New Balance brand policy is enforced. Her current equipment is not any of those brands. Cleats/helmet will be easy to comply with, but I'm more concerned with bat and glove because they are several hundreds of dollars. Also a new glove takes a lot of time to get game ready.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Hello! I have a first year 10u travel player who I guess can technically play 8u still with the new age August 31 age cutoff for most orgs. I wanted to ask people who have been with the batbusters how strictly the Wilson, Demarini, Louisville, Evoshield, New Balance brand policy is enforced. Her current equipment is not any of those brands. Cleats/helmet will be easy to comply with, but I'm more concerned with bat and glove because they are several hundreds of dollars. Also a new glove takes a lot of time to get game ready.
And what if you don't comply? This is stupid for 10U. Kick the can down the road and if they ask you about it, tell them next time my kid needs a new bat, glove, etc I'll look into it.

May 17, 2012
Unless they are paying for it I wouldn't change equipment. I wouldn't be concerned until someone said something. It's probably something you should have sorted before you joined the team.

Nov 18, 2015
I would hope that sort of requirement is mentioned several times during the tryout / offering period, and not just buried in some fine print on page 3 of the "Team Rules / Parent-Player Conduct" contract.

Even if they offer discounts, it's still money to shell out over and above any typical team fees.

Sep 26, 2024
I would hope that sort of requirement is mentioned several times during the tryout / offering period, and not just buried in some fine print on page 3 of the "Team Rules / Parent-Player Conduct" contract.

Even if they offer discounts, it's still money to shell out over and above any typical team fees.

It was listed in the contract which we were sent after we committed. All the parents saw it and have discussed it and signed it so it wasn't buried. My kid has been swinging a Ghost and uses an Asics glove and the coaches (who are dads) haven't said anything about it. This team is only one of 30+ teams within the umbrella of the org so I'm not sure how much oversight there is over an insignificant 10u team.

They do offer discounts I think 25% off those brands, but you can usually find lower prices elsewhere online except for new releases like the 2025 bats where they are still at sticker price online but discounted 25% on the team store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPop