Never seen this before, what's ruling?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
Texas
It was baseball, but still never seen it before. Sons game last night and the kid hits the ball, runs to 1st. The throw got past the 1st baseman, while R1 was turning to come back to the base, he just picks the ball up and proceeds to hold it for a bit, then give it to 1st baseman again. Meanwhile, R2 was rounding to score.

They ruled it as R2 stops on 3rd, and R1 stays on first. No penalty.

Was this correct? If no, what should the correct ruling be? I've never seen this, every time I've had someone interfere with a ball, it's been someone who was not involved, like a player in dugout, or runner who scored going back to dugout, etc.....

May 6, 2015
at that age level, I kind like the ruling, regardless of sanction.

no one really penalized, but valuable lessons learned . . baserunners never touch the ball . . . defense, get to missed balls quickly and backup

Dec 20, 2012
Texas
Yea, I understand with that age group, but just made me curious what the rule would be for older kids as well, if for some reason it happened by accident. What would the proper ruling be? Just made me think, since I'd never seen it before.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In softball - runner that picked up the ball is out. Everyone else returns

Agree. Same effect / penalty in baseball.

The closest I've come to this is (younger ages), catcher botches throw back to pitcher, R2 standing on second base picks it up and hands to F6. I treated this as nothing (other than please don't do that again), as there really isn't a play being interfered with, but had a runner been on 3rd an attempted to score, different story.