Nerves and trying to do repetition 9 years old 12 lessons has natural lefty spin, 5 foot tall.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 28, 2019
Complete lefty and has nerve problems and will listen to instruction or instructions meant for another player and executes it when it messes her up. Any advice for a coach and dad. 10u, has great swing pattern at first striding out or bailing out was problem until we went with a wider stance to create more balance because you all know hitting comes from the ground up. She decided because I said that I like when we hit the pitcher because we play modified coach pitch to because our league is political we now have a coach to pitch if they get 3-2 to come in and throw one pitch if they miss or have a bad throw they are out. Whole other topic...but in the cage she was attacking the ball but on the field she had 3-0 and I could have pitched but she swings at ball 4 jumping and I see the nerves as she looks scared of messing up and as a parent and coach it breaks my heart to see this happen. I don't want to embarrass her by getting on her, I was the kid that had to work hard to beat out my opponents and secure my spot on the team. The more my Dad got on me the harder I tried. I am at a loss she goes to lessons and for only 12 lessons is dominate on the rubber until she gets nervous. She says she forget to do things that should be clicking with her. I don't know how to approach this maybe this is not her sport but her potential not because of being my daughter is great . She hopefully will be 5’10 and her fastball looks like a curve . She is getting 18 spin rotations on average at 9 when she started she had 8.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
Suggest that she not focus on results, but rather the process and mechanics and then tell her unfortunately, having a bad outing is part of the process. Reference an MLB pitcher or famous softball pitcher she knows and pout to a game where they didn’t play there best.

Odds are she’s putting too much pressure on her self because she wants to make everyone happy. If you can get her to focus on the process and let her know it’s OK even when we don’t do our best if we are focusing on the process and learning from each outing she may relax some.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD is 9 years old. You need to chill.
She will not have a consistently good form for at least two more years. Don't worry about it.
At this point, your DD needs to enjoy playing and having fun. The more stressed out you are, the less fun she will have.
Also, forget the "back when I was a kid" stuff. Adults have poor memories of their youth.

Mar 28, 2014
Complete lefty and has nerve problems and will listen to instruction or instructions meant for another player and executes it when it messes her up. Any advice for a coach and dad. 10u, has great swing pattern at first striding out or bailing out was problem until we went with a wider stance to create more balance because you all know hitting comes from the ground up. She decided because I said that I like when we hit the pitcher because we play modified coach pitch to because our league is political we now have a coach to pitch if they get 3-2 to come in and throw one pitch if they miss or have a bad throw they are out. Whole other topic...but in the cage she was attacking the ball but on the field she had 3-0 and I could have pitched but she swings at ball 4 jumping and I see the nerves as she looks scared of messing up and as a parent and coach it breaks my heart to see this happen. I don't want to embarrass her by getting on her, I was the kid that had to work hard to beat out my opponents and secure my spot on the team. The more my Dad got on me the harder I tried. I am at a loss she goes to lessons and for only 12 lessons is dominate on the rubber until she gets nervous. She says she forget to do things that should be clicking with her. I don't know how to approach this maybe this is not her sport but her potential not because of being my daughter is great . She hopefully will be 5’10 and her fastball looks like a curve . She is getting 18 spin rotations on average at 9 when she started she had 8.
She is Nine. 9 yo's often struggle with confidence. She will get over it naturally. Have a drink and enjoy the day. Forget about trying to "fix" a 9 year old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802