Negative attack angle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2017
She has several issues, but lets fix this one first.
Here she is in the stride, and she hikes up (green,bad) her front hip severely. (should be flat (yellow, good)
View attachment 26056

This leads to having a straight front leg (green, bad), which inhibits hip rotation. Front leg should be very bent at toe touch
View attachment 26057

The result is this the biceps are pushed far away (green, bad) from the torso at contact. The closer these are, the better.
View attachment 26058

The ONLY drill to fix this is to do dry strides (no bat, ball, tee). Stride forward by picking up the front knee to the belt, keeping the hip as flat/level as you can, rotate the torso (hips and shoulders in unison) as you go, and land softly on a VERY bent front knee.

Stop everything else. Work on this a few days, and see if it fixes some of the other downstream problems.
@efastball, she had a tendency to push off her back foot to stride forward, rather than simply picking up a leg and falling forward (which we work on constantly). She understands the concept and can do it in a controlled environment, but continues to struggle each AB. I almost want to remove her stride at this point to minimize all the movement.

Oct 19, 2017
Looks better than tee swing! Attack angle is basically launch angle. Easiest way to increase it is to get more tilt. Get her head to work backwards at launch. Her head will not go backwards but it will allow the feel of more tilt.

The tee swing looks like she delays the release of the barrel. Good for outside pitches. Not good for inside pitches. I need to go back and check her time to contact

What is her time to contact? It’s not on that vid

@Cornbread, when referring to tilt, are we taking about going back toward the catcher or tilting/hinging over the plate. I want to make sure I am understanding the term correctly. Ty.

Oct 19, 2017
Yes, but she moving the valve forward as she tries to TTB. Get it?

@Shawn, here is video of us trying new things in the cage. I realize there are many things wrong in this swing it my focus is the hands. In this video, do you still see the valve moving forward as she TTB?

Aug 20, 2017
@Cornbread, when referring to tilt, are we taking about going back toward the catcher or tilting/hinging over the plate. I want to make sure I am understanding the term correctly. Ty.
Back towards the catcher. Go watch @So Cal Seth dd in the thread below. She has really good tilt. Will add that her front side resistance needs to tighten up a bit also. She’s got a good swing! May not want to tinker too much and just tell her to attack the ball and do damage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12