Negative attack angle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
There’s more tilt rearward then there is tilt/posture toward the plate. With that hands height and the elbow pointing toward the backstop to much. I would play with posture in loading up and around like Cabrera.

Oct 19, 2017
There’s more tilt rearward then there is tilt/posture toward the plate. With that hands height and the elbow pointing toward the backstop to much. I would play with posture in loading up and around like Cabrera.
Thank you.

May 16, 2019
I wasn't able to load and see the other swing and it sounds like they might be different than the 1st one. Here is a drill where Haley is stopping at contact but not using her hands to TTB. She then TTB with her bat.

Oct 19, 2017
I wasn't able to load and see the other swing and it sounds like they might be different than the 1st one. Here is a drill where Haley is stopping at contact but not using her hands to TTB. She then TTB with her bat.

Thank you, we’ll start working on this. The second video is in post #18. I’ll see if there is something going on with the video.

Oct 2, 2017
@clemenslee1, do you have or can you share any videos showing how to properly slot the elbow? When I look at her videos from behind, I see so much room between her elbow and her core. Should there be that much room?

Also for the elbows, we basically followed an Epstein drill to help keep the elbows apart. It’s very exaggerated during drills. In games, it’s not so drastic.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
She has several issues, but lets fix this one first.
Here she is in the stride, and she hikes up (green,bad) her front hip severely. (should be flat (yellow, good)
2022-0715-1-0.00.00.00.png

This leads to having a straight front leg (green, bad), which inhibits hip rotation. Front leg should be very bent at toe touch
2022-0715-2-0.00.00.00.png

The result is this the biceps are pushed far away (green, bad) from the torso at contact. The closer these are, the better.
2022-0715-3-0.00.00.00.png

The ONLY drill to fix this is to do dry strides (no bat, ball, tee). Stride forward by picking up the front knee to the belt, keeping the hip as flat/level as you can, rotate the torso (hips and shoulders in unison) as you go, and land softly on a VERY bent front knee.

Stop everything else. Work on this a few days, and see if it fixes some of the other downstream problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812