Negative attack angle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2017
Ok, I remember her now from the other thread. Honestly the front toss swing looks decent for a 9YO(?) How does she hit in games? Maybe a bit more "intent to do damage" will help..It is a long road, save some instruction for when they are old enough to give you dirty looks when you try to help :rolleyes:
Thank you. No recent games but we are playing this weekend so we’ll work on getting some footage.

Here is here rear elbow.

Aug 20, 2017
Her vertical bat angle is also a tad bit high. Vertical bat angle is the relationship between the hand and barrel at contact. Hers is -33 degrees on that tee height. It should change some based on height and location. That’s a high tee imo and vertical bat angle should be lower on high pitches. Higher on lower pitches.

Oct 19, 2017
Looks better than tee swing! Attack angle is basically launch angle. Easiest way to increase it is to get more tilt. Get her head to work backwards at launch. Her head will not go backwards but it will allow the feel of more tilt.

The tee swing looks like she delays the release of the barrel. Good for outside pitches. Not good for inside pitches. I need to go back and check her time to contact

What is her time to contact? It’s not on that vid
Time to contact is .18-.22 seconds.

Oct 19, 2017
@Shawn - I don't agree, but whatever you say, LOL. I'm not here to debate on this persons thread that was searching for help.

@JaySpeediii - it is in my opinion only, that if you allow the rear elbow to work and not restrict it by locking it in place then things will move in the right direction. To possibly gain this feeling, I would do a shaft to shoulder drill. Place the bat shaft on the outside of the shoulder with the elbow already down and take some swing. Then move to full swings.
Thanks. We introduced this drill recently. My thought is that it would help her staying tight during the turn but it’s good to know it can also help in this area.

Oct 19, 2017
Rear elbow is not being allowed to slot. Its basically chicken winging. Maybe she is being instructed to do that, to maintain elbow spacing or in order to prevent elbow drag.

@clemenslee1, do you have or can you share any videos showing how to properly slot the elbow? When I look at her videos from behind, I see so much room between her elbow and her core. Should there be that much room?

Also for the elbows, we basically followed an Epstein drill to help keep the elbows apart. It’s very exaggerated during drills. In games, it’s not so drastic.

May 16, 2019
Recently purchased the motion blast sensor and have been playing around with it.

I’ve noticed my DD (10U) has a negative attack angle in most of her hits off the tee. In games and front toss, I see a mix of everything. Any idea what may be causing the negative angle? I don’t know enough to diagnose the issue. Posture, tilt, elbow slot, tee height? Any thoughts are appreciated.

it looks like she is mostly TTB with her body, Little to no swivel in her hands.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes, she had severe bat drag and this has helped her a lot. I had her try the lower elbow yesterday but we need more work.

Bingo, we have a winner. There are other ways to feel connected. Hands now moving forward.

Thank you.

By the way, here is her swing during front toss. Not great but also not hitting the ball straight down. I also have some video from behind showing the elbow action. I’ll try and post that later today.

She does start the swing with hands above the shoulders. So, that is some of what is being seen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee