Needing a new, custom catchers mitt. Thinking about getting a custom Marucci.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I just got out of practice from between lunch and heading to my next class at 4:00. I was using my custom Vinci catcher's mitt during catching and blocking drills today and was told by one of the coaches that I "need another glove. Preferably either regular tan leather or if I can get it, team color to match my catcher's equipment." I'm not exactly happy having to buy another glove...but...that's the price I have to pay to play college ball.

I started looking at other mitts online and I love my Vinci and it really does good for me. I've used it since my freshman year of high school when I first started playing the position. But I also remember it took at least 6 months or maybe even closer to a year to fully break that mitt in. So, I started looking at other mitts and found Marucci. I like that I can get a mitt custom made for me for $279. But I don't know what the break-in period is like for them or what other people's impressions have been of these gloves. If you guys have had daughters use Marucci stuff in the past, what have their impressions been like of their products? Were they hard to break-in?

Thanks, again!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We haven't seen a lot of talk about Marucci products on DFP.

Bummer that you have to give up your Vinci. My DD is facing the same issue after having joined a WIlson-only travel team.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I'm thinking about getting another Vinci because I love mine so much. The break-in is what's killing me about getting another. Of course, we don't play until the end of February/early March giving me time to break it in.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Here's a full custom fastpitch mitt made from Jtan leather from a fairly new member at SBF's forum. I remember when this guy was going through his research process and asking tons of questions (super nice guy btw) all the way until he got it and posted pics! It's absolutely without a doubt THE best looking catchers mitt I've ever seen!

If it were mine I'd build it a lighted trophy case right in the middle of my living room and it'd never see dirt!
IMG_20190509_094525.jpgIMG_20190509_094421.jpgIMG_20190509_094530.jpgIMG_20190509_094458.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Sweet looking mitt!

My DD had used her Vinci mitt (33" VM) since the end of 8th grade until this past winter/spring (Senior in HS now). She started using a 34" Rawlings Liberty Advanced as a backup while we relaced/reconditioned the Vinci and she never went back. The LA is not exactly what she'd like but it's working well, didn't break the bank and broke in quickly (especially compared to that Vinci). Now if I can only keep her from seeing that Rawlings that AnnasDad posted pics of.....

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
@softgabby
If it were me, I'd find out exactly what your coaches preference is towards a new mitt, whether truly a tan mitt or team colors! Make them (he, she, both?) actually verbally tell you their preference before you spend a dime, especially if you're thinking of taking on something like a custom!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee