Need Your Take On This Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2020
My 12u daughter has been struggling in games, killing it in practice but when at bat everything goes out the window. Please take a look and give me your thoughts on this cut from today. I’m hoping the hive mind will see something. IMG_2753.GIF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I would like to see more hip coil around the back leg, that runs all the way into the ground (screw the back foot/leg into the ground). Feel the back leg twist.

I think right now her load is more of the head/torso moving back and slightly leaning back. Not a strong coil.

Also, the hands are dropping on a high pitch. So, I’m wondering if the hands dropping is a problem on all pitches.

Aug 20, 2017
Not bad. She’s misaligning under the ball. If she’s killing it in front toss but struggling in the game it’s most likely due to the trajectory of the pitch in front toss. Typically front toss pitches are slower and drop more than live pitching. They are under the ball and crush it in front toss and misalign under and miss it in live game. Here’s my rule of thumb for front toss: a pop out in front toss = a swing and miss under in live game, a high fly ball in front toss = a pop out in a live game, a deep fly ball in front toss = a high fly ball in a game. Y’all can see how the rest goes. I want low line drives or ground balls in front toss. Zero pop ups. She’s got some mechanical issues that others can comment on but the first thing I would make her do is NEVER hit a high fly ball or a pop out in front toss.

Aug 31, 2020
I would like to see more hip coil around the back leg, that runs all the way into the ground (screw the back foot/leg into the ground). Feel the back leg twist.

I think right now her load is more of the head/torso moving back and slightly leaning back. Not a strong coil.

Also, the hands are dropping on a high pitch. So, I’m wondering if the hands dropping is a problem on all pitches.

You’re correct on the hands dropping. Do you think she could use some leg lift to help with the load? Coach has worked on keeping her front leg down and I don’t know why. Looking at video it seems like she has no load at all.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You’re correct on the hands dropping. Do you think she could use some leg lift to help with the load? Coach has worked on keeping her front leg down and I don’t know why. Looking at video it seems like she has no load at all.

I think she tries to load and it happens before release. I think the timing is right. I just think it can be better.

I don’t think someone should be forced to no stride. It has it’s own challenges and is not a cure all.

May 12, 2016
Do you see a difference in weight distribution @ launch? Notice Wright's hips and how they gain ground into heel plant, his hand stay back, his body gains ground. Just because your DD is using a no stride approach does not mean she has to swing off her back foot. JMHO

img_2753-gif.21722
gif (2).gif

Attachments

• 1618856378646.png
    1618856378646.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12