Need some tryout advice for my 14y/o.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2016
My dd is having to find a new team after 3 years of being on the same team. After her 1st tryout for a 16u gold team, she has been offered a spot. Only thing is that they want a commitment from her before we finish tryouts with other teams. This is a very good team that she tried out for so I would not want to miss out. Should we go ahead and accept the offer without going to the other tryouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 14, 2016
This team does a lot of college exposure and big tournaments. It is a big step up from the team she was on which was a b level team. This is our 1st time really having to do tryouts so I don't know if this is usual. She is a pitcher and would like to play in college.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I assume you were at the tryouts what did the other players look Like?

I am sure they were good but did your DD fit In?

If she wants to pitch, or any specific position, a conversation with the coach before you commit.

Jun 14, 2016
The other players were all very good. Hard to say if she will fit in from the tryout because she didn't know any of the girls. This team is about an hour from our home. I agree, I need to find out how much pitching time she should expect.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This team does a lot of college exposure and big tournaments. It is a big step up from the team she was on which was a b level team. This is our 1st time really having to do tryouts so I don't know if this is usual. She is a pitcher and would like to play in college.

OK, so I asked about what 16U gold meant because lots of teams give themselves names. If your DD wants to play in college, you want to be sure that it's a team or program that has some history of getting players recruited.

I agree w/ Quincy. If you feel confident that the team really is strong and has some college experience, if it's what DD is looking for, no need to look further. But if unsure, I couldn't out of pressure. If this team wants her, then they won't be the only one, especially if it's a pitcher.

Jun 14, 2016
I did look up their Facebook page and saw where a good many of their players have been signed to colleges. I'm just not sure how important it is to be on a team like that since she is only going to be a freshman. I guess it's never to early to start.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I did look up their Facebook page and saw where a good many of their players have been signed to colleges. I'm just not sure how important it is to be on a team like that since she is only going to be a freshman. I guess it's never to early to start.

I wouldn't call that early. It's probably the average start time. My DD joined her first 'showcase' team and began contacting college coaches early in her freshman year.

Jun 14, 2016
Ok, then we are starting this when we should. I guess you can tell we are new to all of this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sostrejr2002