Need some help or advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
use these knuckles
hitting-grip-line-up-rings.jpg

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
But this is not what ails this hitter.. it’s the pivot point not found early which creates pushing leg/hip pivots which creates poor posture. Which creates poor path.

create a good pivot which can help maintain angles which will stop the active leg push which should help the path. Can’t really fix a swing in a vacuum most of the time.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019
But this is not what ails this hitter.. it’s the pivot point not found early which creates pushing leg/hip pivots which creates poor posture. Which creates poor path.

create a good pivot which can help maintain angles which will stop the active leg push which should help the path. Can’t really fix a swing in a vacuum most of the time.

Happen to have an example of a good pivot point or video or drills to create a good pivot point

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Happen to have an example of a good pivot point or video or drills to create a good pivot point

You can look at any good hitter. Most will get ‘back’ against a stable head when they ‘load’ or shift their weight back (negative move).

I train a ‘step back’ off the tee or smooth front toss for feel. The only cue I use is ‘don’t let the head drift back too much’. Maybe an inch or two. Start w a bit more weight on the front foot. 50/50ish. Also relax the body and make it as rhythmic and athletic as possible. With your dd I would also make sure she has her chest over the plate maintaining her angles through her stride.
Notice when the legs snap in pro swings. Very late. Sometimes they don’t snap at all. Something to monitor as well bc she pushes from her legs a bit.
1640139955221.gif

here’s Trout

1640141942701.gif

Oct 6, 2015
Need y’all’s expertise on what causing her rollover or maybe just critique overall swing and provide maybe some tip, tricks and drills to correct

I always work from the ground up. A lot of my girls have this same problem, and it always leads to rollover. When I correct it, the rollover stops. Watch her front foot…she uses her ankle to turn the foot early before it plants, causing her hips to open early, which leads to an upper body dominant rotation (pulling the front shoulder and elbow AROUND to turn the body in order to get the bat through the zone). That’s where the roll comes from. Have her hold the hip angle inward during stride and until the foot lands, also hold the foot angle during stride and plant, THEN…fire the hips at launch. The hips will turn the feet. This will keep her closed longer and allow her core to rotate everything and prevent early opening. Hope that helps!

Oct 26, 2019
ummm... nothing you do with the lower body contributes to rolling over the ball. Come on, folks, think.
Until this players lower half is fixed there is no point addressing anything else. The grip is an easy fix, but even if this player fixes her grip she still won’t hit consistently or have any timing with her current lower half mechanics. She will be an inconsistent hitter with proper grip.

Everything she does with her hands and bat path is her making an adjustment to get the bat on the ball to make up for the lower half being off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449