Need some help or advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
Grip and coming out of posture.

IMO fix the grip first. Low hanging fruit, quick and easy. You literally have to roll over the ball if your punching knuckles are aligned. Try it - see how far you can keep a palm up/down hand orientation and where the tip of the barrel is when you must roll. There are a lot of trickle-down effects of a player trying to make the 'strong man' grip work. She might hate it because all the rest of her mechanics will need to be adjusted to make it work. It'll be worth it. Here's Antonelli verbosely expressing his thoughts on grip. (TL;DR: knocking knuckles isn't great, punching knuckles isn't great. Find the natural position that allows the wrists to snap through contact. Probably halfway between the two positions.)

Those balls were all relatively mid-high. How does she handle low/away balls? I'd suggest trying some low tee work focusing on the spine tilt being directionally (not necessarily literally) over the plate and holding that tilt. Try to go oppo with that ball. Check the left forearm to bat line at contact. It should be a more or less straight line. (I think fixing the grip might fix some of this too.)

ETA: I know she's not fully big knuckles lined up, me - I'd want that top hand 'unwound' a bit so top hand big knuckles are more hidden from this angle. When you do that, you'll find the back elbow will drop. To get it back up, point the knob more to the catchers feet and less to her own foot. (Trickle down effects from here with bat speed, path, but she looks like an athlete and will make the adjustments. Post followup video, thanks!
1640026193235.png

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
If Antonelli didn’t have a MA accent would it bother you guys so much? 😉

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
A lot of different ways to swing but IMO, her lead arm is pinned against her chest and never moves and you have to roll.

Apr 17, 2019
If Antonelli didn’t have a MA accent would it bother you guys so much? 😉
I don't mind it and I'll actually sit through all his vids, but I have more patience than just about anyone I know.... I've learned to intuit where a 'normal' person would drop out :p

Oct 2, 2017
Right at contact

Screenshot_20211220-201126.png
Just after contact

Screenshot_20211220-201105.png

Doesn't look like rollover to me. Now she may rollover after. Those pics are of the last swing in the video. Not the first 2.

The first two she does have the problem among others, but is largely due to getting stuck on the backside not due to grip imo. When she gets stuck she has not choice but to spin to swing. When she spins she is trying to get to extension which causes the bad bat path and rollover. Imo fix not getting stuck and you'll find things like rollover will be much improved.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I don't mind it and I'll actually sit through all his vids, but I have more patience than just about anyone I know.... I've learned to intuit where a 'normal' person would drop out :p
Doesn't bother me either which is why I was wondering if it was the accent..lol.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Right at contact

View attachment 24692
Just after contact

View attachment 24693

Doesn't look like rollover to me. Now she may rollover after. Those pics are of the last swing in the video. Not the first 2.

The first two she does have the problem among others, but is largely due to getting stuck on the backside not due to grip imo. When she gets stuck she has not choice but to spin to swing. When she spins she is trying to get to extension which causes the bad bat path and rollover. Imo fix not getting stuck and you'll find things like rollover will be much improved.

She is upright, back shoulder level, throwing drop balls. Have her watch a Oklahoma game on YouTube. Great posture’s.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28