Need Advice from HS Coach Regarding HS / Travel Tournament Conflict

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
As a High School Varsity coach, I easily would say school ball comes first. With that said, you could have a conversation with the High School coach. I excused a girl last season so she could play in a Showcase tournament in Kansas City, but that is the exception to the rule.
Since you said the decision was easy, I would like to know why you think that? It’s well known that the vast majority of all softball scholarships come from travel ball. You are playing with talent developed by tournament ball coaches. Unfortunately you just aren’t going to develop any players by playing 3 months out of the year. So if you aren’t getting them scholarships and if you aren’t a significant part of their development, then why is that decision so easy?

Jun 11, 2012
Since you said the decision was easy, I would like to know why you think that? It’s well known that the vast majority of all softball scholarships come from travel ball. You are playing with talent developed by tournament ball coaches. Unfortunately you just aren’t going to develop any players by playing 3 months out of the year. So if you aren’t getting them scholarships and if you aren’t a significant part of their development, then why is that decision so easy?
But there are going to be a total of zero college coaches watching a travel tournament in April because they’re in season. If she were in a state with fall high school ball and a conflicting showcase I might feel differently.
For my DD high school ball was about playing with her friends and even though they didn’t all have college aspirations it was still important to them.

Jun 27, 2021
My daughter will most likely be playing JV or Varsity softball this spring. Unfortunately we have a conflict in April with an away tournament and a high school game on the same day. The tournament is arguably one of the biggest we play in all spring/summer. Her HS game is during the day which means we would probably miss most of the Saturday games.

How do I approach the coach about this scheduling conflict?
Play school ball. Not sure any April tournaments would be classified as "biggest we play in all spring/summer" in the grand scheme of things.

Jun 27, 2021
Yeah you are not taking into account that Select players make a greater commitment to their select teams. Some have played and practiced with them for years and paid thousands and thousands of dollars. While the HS team has been together for a couple months, it's free, no one is recruiting at 95% of games. It's not even a close comparison. HS decided that you are not committed because your other commitment is more important is just crazy and unrealistic.
Show me the HS coach that has a good program, talking to college coaches on behalf of my player, and putting in work to make sure they are seen on all levels..... then it'll be a priority.
Think recruiting falls into geography of colleges and frankly if your kids/program is any good. Last few seasons we have had D1/D2/D3/Juco/NAIA all at our HS games. Just in a 45 mile radius we have all of those levels and they have had success getting in on players early. The head coach will say he has little interaction but by the time they arrive at games they want to see the kid play.

Nov 13, 2017
Colleges know the 5%ers right now they want to recruit at 14U. Two years away from any contact with D1 anyways.
The difficult part of the HS - TB discussion is when you're near a state line with differing seasons. My DD lives in TN which has the HS season in the spring, but played on a TB team in GA which played HS in the fall. So in the fall when my DD was wanting to play many of her TB teammates were playing HS ball. And in the spring when many of her teammates were ready to play TB my DD was playing HS ball. Made it difficult.

Jun 27, 2021
The difficult part of the HS - TB discussion is when you're near a state line with differing seasons. My DD lives in TN which has the HS season in the spring, but played on a TB team in GA which played HS in the fall. So in the fall when my DD was wanting to play many of her TB teammates were playing HS ball. And in the spring when many of her teammates were ready to play TB my DD was playing HS ball. Made it difficult.
Same situation as you as mine who is a TN kid played out GA. Half her team was from TN/other half GA from 12U to 16U. In the fall she would play with an older team because her GA girls would play in state and opted out of playing but one fall tournament. Second year 16U we bumped her up to play 18U with the team of girls from the area, many were going through the process so she was able to get a head start/interest.

Jul 28, 2020
I will be interested in how this plays out for you. Our schools say no travel ball until school ball is over. i think its ridiculous and rather not even play school ball, but i got overruled by DD.
States associations implement restrictions to protect student athletes from overuse and to also ensure schools can field teams.

Nov 2, 2008
My daughter will most likely be playing JV or Varsity softball this spring. Unfortunately we have a conflict in April with an away tournament and a high school game on the same day. The tournament is arguably one of the biggest we play in all spring/summer. Her HS game is during the day which means we would probably miss most of the Saturday games.

How do I approach the coach about this scheduling conflict?
As a travel ball and school ball coach, I think school ball has got to come first. Travel ball season should not occur school ball season

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee