Need Advice from HS Coach Regarding HS / Travel Tournament Conflict

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2022
As a HS AD and Coach. Thanks for letting me know. I hope she does well. She will not be playing in the next HS game.

As the coach, are you annoyed with that parent/kid or do you understand that sometimes conflicts arise because of TB?

Oct 26, 2019
Honestly that would be fine, HS team is 2-9 and there is no recruiting going on there. Showcase all day.
I’m cool with that. I would just prefer those kids not play at all if they aren’t going to commit. I would rather play other kids who won’t choose other things over the team. Apparently they can go 2-9 with or without the travel kids.

Feb 1, 2022
I’m cool with that. I would just prefer those kids not play at all if they aren’t going to commit. I would rather play other kids who won’t choose other things over the team. Apparently they can go 2-9 with or without the travel kids.

That's a pretty black and white outlook. I understand the need for kids to be committed, but in a season with 20 games, if a kid chooses to miss one for a TB tournament you'd rather them not be on the team at all?

Oct 14, 2019
This is the kind of thing that comes up before the HS season even starts. Our team has a handbook that states the team policy - you can play travel but HS games and practice take priority. No need to play if you can’t accept the conditions up front.

Oct 26, 2019
As the coach, are you annoyed with that parent/kid or do you understand that sometimes conflicts arise because of TB?
I’m not annoyed necessarily, but I just know I can’t count on that kid and better find another option. Those kids tend to leave you in important spots. Next time it will be a playoff game and she has a tourney. This isn’t an emergency or a conflict. This is totally predictable because she is playing on 2 teams at once. Choices will have to be made and those choices will have consequences.

May 1, 2018
Yeah you are not taking into account that Select players make a greater commitment to their select teams. Some have played and practiced with them for years and paid thousands and thousands of dollars. While the HS team has been together for a couple months, it's free, no one is recruiting at 95% of games. It's not even a close comparison. HS decided that you are not committed because your other commitment is more important is just crazy and unrealistic.
Show me the HS coach that has a good program, talking to college coaches on behalf of my player, and putting in work to make sure they are seen on all levels..... then it'll be a priority.

Oct 26, 2019
Yeah you are not taking into account that Select players make a greater commitment to their select teams. Some have played and practiced with them for years and paid thousands and thousands of dollars. While the HS team has been together for a couple months, it's free, no one is recruiting at 95% of games. It's not even a close comparison. HS decided that you are not committed because your other commitment is more important is just crazy and unrealistic.
Show me the HS coach that has a good program, talking to college coaches on behalf of my player, and putting in work to make sure they are seen on all levels..... then it'll be a priority.
I don’t disagree with any of that. Where I have an issue as a high school coach Is when parents get upset that there are consequences to missing practices and games for select or travel teams. It may be less of a priority to you, but it may not be to another kid and it’s about being fair to the kids who make it a priority.

I guess my point comes down to this. If you’re not going to make high school a priority then I wish those kids would just not play. I would’ve rather kept a kid I cut who would’ve made it a priority.

May 17, 2012

I think your interpretation of HS softball is crazy and unrealistic. Either commit or don't play. It's spelled out in bold letters in our handbook.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101